Ultra Micro noisy volume
Jan 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

noparanoia

Head-Fier
My Ultra Micro amp has started to make static noise in the right channel when the volume is adjusted. I dont remember it ever doing this until very recently (I have had it for about a year now). It is not a problem in and of itself (it doesn't bother me) but I would like to clear up that it is not something wrong with the amp.
Thanks guys
o2smile.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 15
Sometimes the wiper inside the potentiometer gets corroded or a little dirty and causes static. Try turning off the amp, unplugging your headphones and then adjusting the volume control from minimum to maximum a number of times. Somewhat rapidly if you can. Imagine it to be like wiping the haze off of a window using a cloth and some elbow grease.

If that doesn't work, you can send it in and we'll replace the volume control. Actually it's better to call us first and talk to Mike our repair guru.

This is common among a lot of audio components that sometimes pots get noisy and you have to 'work' them a little to clean off the oxidation inside.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for the advice. I think it worked. Trying to listen out for a bit of static as the volume is going up and down isn't easy. I'm guessing that the fact I'm having to listen out for it probably means that the problem has gone.
By the way, is it possible that this could have improved the sound in general? Listening now everything sounds so clear and punchy. It might just be me.
Anyway, thanks again
dt880smile.png

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by noparanoia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, is it possible that this could have improved the sound in general? Listening now everything sounds so clear and punchy. It might just be me.
Anyway, thanks again
dt880smile.png

Yes, it's very possible that the sound quality has improved or at least returned to our 'standard' sound quality.

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 15
Well I have been "working" the volume for a while now and the problem seems to be getting worse over time. It only appears in certain songs (I think it is a specific bass frequency that does it) and its all in the right channel. What are my options?

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Well I have been "working" the volume for a while now and the problem seems to be getting worse over time. It only appears in certain songs (I think it is a specific bass frequency that does it) and its all in the right channel. What are my options?

Send an e-mail to mikeo@headphone.com

He'll provide the details to send it in for warranty repair and will fix it for you.

You can always call us too but he's the guy who does all of our repairs and is pretty responsive to e-mail.

Thanks,
Jamey

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 15
my ultra micro amp does that all the time. I just rolls the volume knob a few times like jamey stated and it gone after that. but it may be that you have a more serious issue. normally,this static noise should not be something to worry about as long as the noise is not during listening.

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 15
Just to make myself clear, static noise is only there while I adjust the volume, so this is not a big issue as is. I am a bit of a volume fiddler, but truth be told that is a habbit I would be happy to lose, so if this helps... great! However the wiping does not work, which is a worry. If the problem gets worse I will gratefully take advantage of your offer to take it back for repairs. However this is not a decision I can take lightly, it will likely cost me around £200 in shipping before you even get to see the amp. I should know this already, but my memory has failed me: is there a warranty on the ultra micro amp?
Thanks

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 15
Hmm while I was playing around with this I noticed something a bit strange. If I switch the input selector to 2 (which isnt used) and then turn the volume up I can hear a faint bleed of the music playing in input 1. Is that supposed to happen?

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Hmm while I was playing around with this I noticed something a bit strange. If I switch the input selector to 2 (which isnt used) and then turn the volume up I can hear a faint bleed of the music playing in input 1. Is that supposed to happen?

I won't say that it's 'supposed' to happen but it doesn't surprise me that the signal bleeds over into the other input when no source is plugged into input 2. Both source signals travel through the tiny switch on the front panel. If you have a source plugged in it should change the impedance and make the bleed go away. Long story short, I don't think your unit is defective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back