Ultra micro amp heat problem(or not..)
Aug 31, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #16 of 19
I currently also have my DAC on top of the amp, with both being on top of the DPS. I don't think the amp runs hotter this way since I did have the amp on top and it seems to run at the same temperature.

I'm surprised that the amps don't have cooling vents in them. I guess their tests have shown that the electronics will not overheat in such an enclosure.

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #17 of 19
I just moved the dac off of the amp and set them side by side. Listened for around an hour and gave them the famous palm temperature test.
tongue.gif
Dac was cool and the amp was warm. When stacked, both were very warm. Guess if you do stack them, the amp should be on top.

Sep 1, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When stacked, both were very warm. Guess if you do stack them, the amp should be on top.

Meh. I like the amp on the bottom for taste reasons. As long as the amp isn't to hot to comfortable handle it's fine. Hot electronics (to a point) work better. At some point though, lifetime degradation of the electrolytic caps is the first issue that crops up as the amp gets too hot. I recall Joe saying something like every 10 degrees C over about 90F halves the lifetime ... roughly. I seem to recall that at 150F internal temp the degradation half life of electrolytic caps was something like 10 years --- continuous running. So maybe 20 years of heavy use.

Numbers are rough, but we found the Ultra Micro was well below the problem.

BUDA is closer to the line, but I still put the amp on the bottom and the DAC on top. I just make sure to turn off the units when not listening. Yes, it might take a little while for it to warm up (1/2 hour) but extending cap life by a big margin (to maybe 30 years to 1/2 cap life roughly) by not running it all the time seems easily worth it. I don't hear much (if any) difference with the gear cold vs. hot.

Sep 1, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not likely Vincent, the MAX DAC module runs pretty cool in the Hertsens.

My Ultra MicroDAC is very warm but I can still hold it in hand.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back