Ultra Desktop question
May 31, 2009 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

peanuthead

500+ Head-Fier
Can someone tell me what the power output of the Ultra Desktop is, say at 32, 100, and 300 Ohms? Also does the Ultra Desktop with its Max modules put out more power than the regular Desktop with Home modules?

And what is the warranty on Ultra Desktop? Is it 2 years or 5 years since it has Max modules?

Thanks!

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 14
Alright, I found in the manual that the warranty is 2 years on these units.

Anyone have any idea on the power ouput? Anyone from Headroom? Thanks.

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 14
I guess this is a trade secret or something? I was just wondering the same thing and decided to do a search rather than ask the question again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 14
As the new owner of a BUDA and an Ultra DAC I am curious to learn what the tech specs of these units really are. Perhaps Headroom will publish them, hopefully sooner rather than later.

JJ

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the new owner of a BUDA and an Ultra DAC I am curious to learn what the tech specs of these units really are. Perhaps Headroom will publish them, hopefully sooner rather than later.

JJ

What headphones are you using? The BUDA/UDAC combo will easily drive my hd800's set to medium gain with the nob set no higher than 9-10 o'clock. I have even used the BUDA to drive the HE-5's (which are supposed to be hard to drive) at a local meet several weeks ago. With the amp on high gain, 10-11 o'clock was as loud as I would ever listen to the HE-5's. So unless you want or need absolute numbers, the bottom line is that this combo can easily drive any dynamic headphone save the K1000's which require a speaker amp!
beerchug.gif

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubu1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphones are you using? The BUDA/UDAC combo will easily drive my hd800's set to medium gain with the nob set no higher than 9-10 o'clock. I have even used the BUDA to drive the HE-5's (which are supposed to be hard to drive) at a local meet several weeks ago. With the amp on high gain, 10-11 o'clock was as loud as I would ever listen to the HE-5's. So unless you want or need absolute numbers, the bottom line is that this combo can easily drive any dynamic headphone save the K1000's which require a speaker amp!
beerchug.gif

Were you driving them balanced or SE'd?

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Were you driving them balanced or SE'd?

hd800's balanced and HE-5's SE.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 14
So how were the HE-5's? I'd get the same performance out of them with my Ultra Desktop Amp, as you did with the BUDA.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #9 of 14
The HE'5s were impressive. Although it was a bit noisy when I listened to them, they have many good qualities. Wonderful mids, good solid bass, and good treble extension although a bit hot. Soundstage is not as large or as deep as the 800's. For the money, they are very, very good phones. I do have to say though, I still prefer the 800's. There is just a level of refinement to the 800's that I don't think can be matched.
You can read some more impressions from our meet here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/im...e-meet-479950/
Cheers,
Tom

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks.. 'A bit hot', is a feature I'm tending to steer away from these days when choosing a new can. It's a troubling trend in the sonic signature of the newer cans. This is why I've found renewed interest in the HD650/600's.

I like the Ed8's and see that the high frequency response of the HD800's is similar. I may well try an HD800 soon enough.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.. 'A bit hot', is a feature I'm tending to steer away from these days when choosing a new can. It's a troubling trend in the sonic signature of the newer cans. This is why I've found renewed interest in the HD650/600's.

I like the Ed8's and see that the high frequency response of the HD800's is similar. I may well try an HD800 soon enough.

Hi, Aimlink, I quoted your review of the ED8 in the Headroom ED8 location in the Fullsize headphone forum and in the "Ultrasone ED9 vs ED8" thread post #94. I am just curious and would like to hear your feedback and observation. Thanks.

The link: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...91/index7.html

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, Aimlink, I quoted your review of the ED8 in the Headroom ED8 location in the Fullsize headphone forum and in the "Ultrasone ED9 vs ED8" thread post #94. I am just curious and would like to hear your feedback and observation. Thanks.

The link: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ult...91/index7.html

Where would you like it? On the thread you linked to.

I was reading that thread and had stopped. Now I see my comments quoted, so I'll need to add more there.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks for your feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back