Ultimate Ears 700 and other etc...
Aug 1, 2009 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Opentoe

100+ Head-Fier
Brand new to canals. I never liked anything in my ears, in my eyes, around my face. I've looked and looked all over for the smallest and light weight in ear phones I could find with good quality. So I got the UE 700. Yes, they are tiny and weigh almost nothing. When they are being used it just looks like wires coming out of my ears. You pretty much have to pull the wires a little to get them out.

Anyway, even how small these are, great sound quality I'm still having a problem having them in my ears. Just 30 minutes or less I'm wanting to pull them out. Paying a little over $200, I'm debating to return them and find an alternative even though I may have to sacrifice quality sound.

I think I may want to look for on ear portables or something like a hybrid. Do they make a hybrid type headphone? I've also thought since this has been the first time ever using any in ear anything I may just have to get use to them. So now I'm thinking I may just need time to get use to them or these in fact are just not comfortable enough for me. Multiple silicon buds come with them, but I've noticed other models having a "christmas tree" type bud also. Are these in general more comfortable?

I like quality stuff, so I've been checking out Shure, UE, Etymotic. Anyone suggest other brands that make a good quality headphones to try out either in ear or on ear? I'm wondering if there are any small on ear phones that sound as good as in ear? I know the physics, so I doubt there is but maybe something comes close I have yet discovered.

Thanks.

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 10
Koss KSC-75 are a forum favourite. They are clip-on headphones.

As for your UE-700, if you feel a suffocating effect after getting a seal - this is normal and you will adapt through usage.

A tip; don't pull the earphones by the wires; but by the bodies. You wouldn't want to snap the wires. =)

Aug 1, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1audioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koss KSC-75 are a forum favourite. They are clip-on headphones.

As for your UE-700, if you feel a suffocating effect after getting a seal - this is normal and you will adapt through usage.

A tip; don't pull the earphones by the wires; but by the bodies. You wouldn't want to snap the wires. =)

I looked up the Koss and saw they were $15? I spent over $200 on the UE 700, i'm not sure those Koss would be up to par with what I want.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 10
The christmas tree tips are double flange tips, and for me they generally work much better than the singles. It gives you a larger range to work with for getting a good fit and seal, the singles really either work or they just don't for me making me have to jump up to a much larger size which causes more irritation in the long run.

As for getting used to the feeling, yes it takes some time, and when you first go for wearing them after about a half hour to an hour your ears will feel a bit sore the first few times. Trick is to keep at it for two weeks if you can at a decent time interval of having them in (not just 20 minutes at a time) and see if things improve. If not then you may have to move on, but again I found double flange tips to basically solve any real issues with comfort I have had with the few IEMs I have owned.

And yeah try not to pull on those wires even if they are oh so accessible =/.

As for other options, you are fairly limited in the same price range as far as I can recall. As far as closest hybrid you could find would be something like a high end earbud or in ear thats close to not being really in ear. Yuin makes a high end earbud but I don't know anything about it's sound quality.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 10
Both the Klipsch X10 and the S4's have been rated as extremely comfortable and should at least match your metros in SQ. The X10's are also very, very small.

If you are comfortable with earbuds, you may want to look at the Yuin PK1 (yes, they need an amp) and the Audio-Technica ATH-CM700/ATH-CM7TI (there is currently a pair on the FS forums for an incredibly low price).

There are also high-end clip-ons such as the Yuin G1A that may suit your needs.

Aug 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 10
What are you using them for? I found IEMs to be really weird/uncomfortable for the first week or two using them - kind of like my ears wouldn't pop senstation. A different type of can may be a better choice. For me these are the only type of highly portable can that do not make my ears hurt.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 10
You don't mention which UE 700 tips you tried, but make sure to try both the silicone and foam tips. In my case, the silicon tips started to bother my ears after a while, but foam tips were much more comfortable. (I'm now using large Comply tips, as the mediums sent with the UE 700s were a bit too small for me).

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 10
I used to like UE but their customer support is terrible now. I never really had any issues with the hardware though but I do not like the direction of their universal line, no more replaceable cables and now 1 yr warranties, no thanks

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #9 of 10
The X10s are incredibly comfortable. My experience with IEMs is fairly limited, but they are the most comfortable IEMs I've ever used. Of course, they might be a bit more expensive than your 700s dependent on where you get 'em, but they're wonderful.

Though maybe it's just me, but going back to the gels after having Comply Foam Tips seems like a downgrade. Though I guess you do eventually get used to that 'suction' sort of feeling from the seal.

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GosuEric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X10s are incredibly comfortable. My experience with IEMs is fairly limited, but they are the most comfortable IEMs I've ever used. Of course, they might be a bit more expensive than your 700s dependent on where you get 'em, but they're wonderful.

Though maybe it's just me, but going back to the gels after having Comply Foam Tips seems like a downgrade. Though I guess you do eventually get used to that 'suction' sort of feeling from the seal.

Still using the UE 700's a lot less since I bought the Westone 3's. This was my last chance for an in-ear solution. If my ears don't jive this time then no choice for on ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back