Ultimate Custom Gaming Headset Configuration (Thoughts?)
Nov 10, 2014 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

lyons238

Head-Fier
Ok, so I recently have been getting into my PS4 and all of the awesome games that have been coming out such as Destiny, COD AW, NHL 15, GTA V, etc etc. I used to have an Astro A40, which I thought was pretty good but honestly it didn't get used because of the wired setup going across the living room was annoying. Also, the sound quality was no where near my studio headphones (Ultrasone Pro 900's) or even my DJ/casual headphones (AIAIAI TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition).

So recently I've done some research and decided why pay a ton of money for a wireless gaming headset that can be outperformed with headphones that I already have, especially with the sound stage enhancements the Ultrasone's have.

So I pieced together some products to create what I believe to be my ultimate custom gaming headset:

1. Brand new Astro A30 Wireless Edition ([COLOR=FF0000]$150[/COLOR]):
-> [COLOR=0000FF]http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Astro-Gaming-A30-Wireless-System-Black-MixAmp-5-8-with-game-voice-balance-/231378854649?_trksid=p2054897.l4275[/COLOR]
- Comes with wireless Astro MixAmp 5.8 TX & RX
- Comes with all necessary cables & more to fit a variety of different setups
- I could have got a used MixAmp 5.8 TX & RX separately but I would have had to buy all the cables separate which would be a huge hassle, used products, and only $20 cheaper than buying a brand new A30 wireless set)

2. V-Moda Boom Pro Mic ([COLOR=FF0000]$30[/COLOR]):
-> [COLOR=0000FF]http://www.modmic.com/products/modmic-4-0[/COLOR]
- Mic attaches in a very sleek and clever way to any headphones 
- Better quality than most gaming headset on the market
- Attaches to headphones with removable headphone cable and uses just one cable instead of having to use 2 cables with products like the AntiLion MicMod which is also a nice choice if you don't mind having 2 cables and a mounting point stuck on your headphones even when you are not using them for gaming

3. Turtle Beach Chat Cable ([COLOR=FF0000]$10[/COLOR]):
-> [COLOR=0000FF]http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/cables-parts/ear-force-ps4-chat-cable-in-box/497[/COLOR]
- So that the MixAmp wireless receiver (RX) can be connected to the PS4 controller and work properly as far as in game sound and chat functionality goes

4. 1700mAh L-ion rechargeable battery for the wireless MixAmp RX receiver ([COLOR=FF0000]$15[/COLOR]):
- >[COLOR=0000FF] http://www.ebay.com/itm/360429669383?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/COLOR]
- Eliminates to use and the need to swap out AA batteries so frequently and saves money in the long run

5. Ultrasones Pro 900's & AIAIAI TMA-1's
- Already have both of these headphones and they will be far better than any gaming headset I could buy which is why I decided to go this route.

[COLOR=FF0000]**ONE QUESTION**[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0000]I read that I have to use the Turtle Beach PS4 chat cable. Now does this cable just go from the MixAmp receiver (RX) to the PS4 controller, and not all the way to the MixAmp transmitter (TX) (I hope this is the case). If this isn't the case then what do I have to get? I read somewhere I have to find the Astro USB to 3.5mm cable from Astro that has been discontinued? If so, will this cable be included with my Astro A30 wireless edition that I ordered?[/COLOR]

Overall, it costed me $205, not including the cost of my already owned headphones, but thats irrelevant to me because I already have them and am only considering the price it takes me to have a nice gaming setup. An A50 setup would have costed me $325 shipped, so it saved me around $120 dollars and leaves me with a far superior setup. I know my Ultrasone Pro 900's will have much better sound quality than any headphone Astro has to offer. Let me know what you guys think of this setup and if any of you guys are using similar setups, feel free to post them and let me know how you like it.

Once all of the products arrive I will give you guys a full review on the performance of the setup individually and as a whole. This is just a run down of the products I chose given my situation and the features that I believed to be useful and relevant to chose such products for my situation. Again, I would love to hear opinions on the setup and hear what you guys are using, whether it be a similar setup, or something completely different. 

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 7
The Astro A30 is absolutely terrible. I highly recommend you get a different headphone than those. I use a DT990 Pro 250 ohm with my MixAmp Pro. I have used a Q701, 2 pairs of A40's, an A30, HD600...the list could go on. The DT990 is the best for gaming out of the whole bunch while the A30 was the worst.

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 7
Did you even read the post??? I'm going to use my Ultrasones Pro 900's which are amazing for games, honestly better than the DT990's. I know the Beyers are more balanced but the Ultrasones have really huge and tight base perfect for explosions and what not. Also the Ultrasones are so damn accurate and revealing up too you can hear everything very crisp and clear. I've compared both and the DT990's are awesome all around cans but they just didn't have the excitement and detail the Ultrasones have.

I'm not using the Astro A30. I bought them strictly to take the wireless MixAmp 5.8 TX and RX because those are hard to locate sepersteky and would have costed almost as much and been a huge hassle.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #4 of 7
Ah I misunderstood what you were saying. 

That does look like a good set up if you were only buying the A30 set up for the RX and TX. I have never heard the Ultrasones so I can't comment on what the expected performance would be like, but if you say it does well than it should be great for gaming as long as the RX and TX work well with it.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #5 of 7
Ah I misunderstood what you were saying. 

That does look like a good set up if you were only buying the A30 set up for the RX and TX. I have never heard the Ultrasones so I can't comment on what the expected performance would be like, but if you say it does well than it should be great for gaming as long as the RX and TX work well with it.

No worries man. And yeah j can't edit until everything comes in. I used to have the non wireless MixAmp and it was awesome so j expect similar from the wireless

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #6 of 7
The Mixamp 5.8 had some noticeable audio lag( to me at least). Having used wired headset setups for years I noticed it right away, which sucks because I really wanted to use the 5.8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back