UK Query - £100 to upgrade from Sony MDR-V500s
Dec 20, 2008 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Doom

New Head-Fier
Hello
biggrin.gif

A question for anybody that knows what is good at UK prices ^_^

I am looking at upgrading my headphones as the Sony MDR-V500s that I have (and that have lasted me for years) now have peely ear cushions.

I've between £75 and £100 to spend on a wired solution, on or over the ear, mainly to be used with my iPhone 3G and PSP. As the headphones are to be used while I'm out and about, something that sounds great without an amp is required, but I would be happy to have them re-cabled if it makes a significant difference.

I mostly listen to metal, hard rock and the occasional mellower track. Generally speaking I fiddle with equalisers to leave the mid as standard but to boost bass and treble frequencies as that is my preferred sound.

I have looked at Grado SR80s but I need 'phones that don't annoy others when I crank them up while I am travelling by train etc (from reviews I have read I understand they are open back would share the joys of metal with old ladies in the close vicinity).

So, with all of that in mind, does anybody have any suggestions as to what will provide me with a significantly better listening experience?

I've looked at AKG, Audio Technica, Denon, Grado and Sony, but am now thoroughly confused and from my interwibble searches have found a general lack of reviews on most affordable models (aside from the Grado SR80s).

Very many thanks in advance for your help!
ph34r.gif

L3000.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Looking for an upgrade =) Whilst I have been happy with them, I'm in no doubt that there are better headphones out there at a price that I can afford; might as well go for it.

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back