UK meet impressions. MDR-R10, Omega II, Orpheus, and more!
Apr 20, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #46 of 58
Yay!

Thanks for hosting the piccies Bangraman...

...Damn, I didn't even see the biscuits... maybe next time
wink.gif

Hmm... Orpheus, How I love thee so
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #47 of 58
sounds like a great meet, and the pictures are great (though somewhat blurred). thanks for the info, now please resume your commentaries on the equipment.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
Is it possible to have more impressions of the Omega II vs. the big O and the R10?

Cheers!

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

If you do a search of the forums, you'll find my comments on the Orpheus/Omega II and R10.

I'd definitely like to try the Omega II with a Blue Hawaii or weebl thingy - or even a Nik-special Egmont. But to my ears, the OmegaII/007t combo is just too flawed to stand up against the R10/Angstrom or the Orpheus.

(Listening to the OmegaII/007t at the meet with the R10 & Orpheus close by - did nothing to change my opinion.)

--Jatinder

Apr 22, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
...Damn, I didn't even see the biscuits... maybe next time
wink.gif

wink.gif

Hahaha, "biscuits". You Brits crack me up. I suppose they arrived on a "lorrie". But you do know how to put on a great meet!
icon10.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:18 AM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Hahaha, "biscuits". You Brits crack me up. I suppose they arrived on a "lorrie". But you do know how to put on a great meet!
icon10.gif

I think you mean 'lorry'
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by jatinder
Hi Amit,

Yes you're right -- I too am not amazed by the R10/Angstrom nor by the Orpheus. I have been amazed in the past by the CD3000, W2002 and the Omega II/007t.

I think that this comes down to naturalness and that many people don't understand the value of it.

Agreed! The first meet I attended (see link in my .sig), I heard some phones that sounded amazing, but when I heard the HD580 and HD600 they sounded really boring. However, the HD580 was the only high end phone I could afford at the time, so I picked up a pair a couple weeks later. I really expected nothing but a "boring" phone to listen to classical music with -- at this point I was new to head-fi and didn't know anything of the reputation of the higher-end Senns (or any of the others, really). For the first day or two of initial break-in I didn't know what to think, but after three or four days of listening I knew these were the cans for me, period.

From here, naturalness is really everything. Initially amazing-sounding headphones can very quickly become boring, but boring headphones can begin to sound amazing, and stay amazing. Of course the Senn sound is a matter of taste, but I was just using it as an example here. Based on my experience, I'd say that a pair of cans that sound unengaging in a meet setting deserve a serious audition
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. looks like it was a great meet, and glad you guys had a good time. Nice to see amps being powered by battery packs too
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #53 of 58
My bet is the pcdp in the gray bag...
meet4.jpg

is a Sony D-NE1. At least mine has the same bag.

dne1.jpg

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by jatinder
Hi Trevor,

If you do a search of the forums, you'll find my comments on the Orpheus/Omega II and R10.

I'd definitely like to try the Omega II with a Blue Hawaii or weebl thingy - or even a Nik-special Egmont. But to my ears, the OmegaII/007t combo is just too flawed to stand up against the R10/Angstrom or the Orpheus.

(Listening to the OmegaII/007t at the meet with the R10 & Orpheus close by - did nothing to change my opinion.)

--Jatinder

As with the Orpheus, I'm wondering how much of the sound is in the amp and how much of it is in the phones. To me the 007/007t is basically a souped up DT880 which suits me fine for now. I'm looking with interest to the NYC meet where all the amps I'm interested in will be there. I hope there's detailed comparisons, especially from owners of one amp over another.

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #55 of 58
Bangraman:

"Souped up" DT880's? Beyer-Dynamic DT880's? I beg to differ. The Omega II's, atleast in my setup do not resemble the DT880's in any way. I do draw parallels to the HP-2 sound, but definitely not DT880 sound. I respectfully ask you to explain your position.

Jatinder:

Why do you feel the Omega II's are "too flawed" to compare? I have heard the R10's, and the baby O (Admittedly not the big O), and I feel the Omega II's are quite superior to both. Please explain the "too flawed" statement.

Cheers!

Trevor

Apr 23, 2004 at 9:02 AM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
Jatinder:

Why do you feel the Omega II's are "too flawed" to compare? I have heard the R10's, and the baby O (Admittedly not the big O), and I feel the Omega II's are quite superior to both. Please explain the "too flawed" statement.

Cheers!

Trevor

Hi Trevor,

I don't think I said that the Omega IIs are "too flawed to compare" - just that they were "too flawed" to my ears.

I had an Omega II/007t along with an R10/HP4 and an Orpheus. All three were completely standard and had been used well (ie. burned in).

When I first listened to the OmegaII/007t combo, I believed that it outclassed the R10/HP4 and the Orpheus - the Stax combo was just simply superb.

After listening to the Stax for several hours a day for several days with all kinds of music, I started to become irritated and annoyed by them. The problem was that there was just too much bass and there appeared to be a lack of treble resulting in an overall dark sound. I admit that I did not tweak anything in order to see if cables etc would fix it - feeling that my existing setup (speaker & headphone) didn't exhibit any darkness.

After that discovery, whenever I listened to the Stax, I would become increasingly irritated by the unnaturalness of the sound and this was happening sooner and sooner. It got to the point, that whenever I put them on, after a few minutes I would have to take them off and go to the Orpheus or R10.

Overall, the R10 & Orpheus were much easier to listen to. The Orpheus can be a little too revealing and sometimes is just a bit too bass shy with some recordings - but I can live with it. The R10 can be a bit bass shy sometimes too - and doesn't have the neutrality/transparency of the Orpheus - but again I can live with it. I couldn't live with the Stax because of the tonal imbalance that it presented - which for me, only became apparent after spending a fair amount of dedicated time with it. That's why I say it's too flawed.

I'd agree that the Stax (to my ears) was in many ways "superior" to the R10 and the Orpheus - hence why I instantly fell in love with it. However it is also in some ways "inferior" to the R10/Orpheus and the inferiorities far outweighed the superiorities - hence my quickie divorce from the Stax.

--Jatinder

Apr 23, 2004 at 9:11 AM Post #57 of 58
Trevornetwork, perhaps you didn't drive the DT880 with a high-power tube amp like the RKV... because that's what I'm hearing. Extended highs, no particular stick-out frequencies, a good/acceptable but not over strong bass with the emphasis on detail and placement rather than a huge width.

I must admit Jatinder that I've not experienced a lack of treble with the O2. If anything, sometimes it can be a little too trebly... just like the DT880.

From my very short listen of both Orpheus and R10, I see what jatinder's saying when he says both are easier to listen to than the O2+SR-007t. I'd like to get more ear time with both to confirm but both are very lush and natural in their rendition, whereas the O2 like the higher-strung dynamics sounds a little clenched, although it's still able to deliver instrumentation with a natural timbre.

Seeing as an Orpheus is a little bigger jump than I'm prepared to make (unless there's one for around £4000... anyone?) I'll probably try and settle on one of the KG amps in the end. For now I'm quite happy since unlike jatinder most of my listening is portable, so what I look for in the main home system is a good degree of musicality but probably a higher balance in favour of technical capability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back