TVERSITY and my DirecTV, PS3
Dec 10, 2008 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Pappucho

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been setting up my media server these last fews days trying to get my Windows Media Player 11 computer to communicate all my media files (videos and audio) wirelessly to my PS3. It didn't work as easily as it should've so I spent the last few days Looking through countless post online and I finally came across a free media server software that seems to work pretty well, TVersity. To my surprise, it also is capable of streaming media to my DirecTV HD DVR as well. Anyone interested can download it for free at tversity.com. It works well though proximity to your wireless router makes a big difference. Not having a wired lan port near my DirectTV, I had to buy a Dlink pocket router working in client mode to connect wirelessly to my network. Seems to work alright so far.

The last update to the DirectTV DVR seems to be what enabled the Media Share feature allowing you to watch/listen videos from your computer on your direcTV tv. The PS3 is also communicating with my DirectTV now, listing it as an available Media Server although the files can't be played on the PS3 yet. I'm hoping Sony will release an update sometime allowing you to view these files on the PS3.

Anyone here done this yet?

Dec 15, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

The PS3 is also communicating with my DirectTV now, listing it as an available Media Server although the files can't be played on the PS3 yet.

Directv has a download that you can install on your computer to access the files in your "List". It will also access programs that are currently recording, so you don't have to wait until it is finished to watch it with a computer. Like you mentioned, it will not play on the PS3 (that I know of) just yet.

The mediashare feature for Directv has been around for a while. It always choked on the number of files I have, so I have never used it.

The PS3 is a much better server when used with Tversity. It transcodes Flac files to PCM so they can play on the PS3. Also, if you have a PSP, you can get to those Tversity files available via the PS3 with "remote play". This allows you to play movies, music, and photos from anywhere with a wifi connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back