Turntable Upgrades
Jan 24, 2006 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ZMU817

100+ Head-Fier
So, i find myself listening to records more and more, im not sure why i like it, i enjoy the lively sound and the physical weight of the record appeals to me somehow, and i love the 12x12 album art on all of it. In any case, Im looking for a way to justify to myself buying records over CDs (as records cost just a few smackers more than CDs where im at)

Anywho, sound quality, i think it sounds very well, well enough to listen to it over a CD anywhere, whether or not it sounds better than the CD is debatable, but whatever, my setup is as follows:

Technics Automatic Turntable System SL-BD20D with Technics P34 cartridge/needle, factory adjusted. Grounded.

Sony STR-DE885 Amp with built in phono-stage. High gauge/well shielded interconnects already, ending up at a quad-stero Klipsch KG .5 setup

what would be the cheapest/bang for the buck upgrade to enjoy my music more?

Jan 24, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 4
While it's a proper entry level record player, it doesn't really make much sense to pump a lot of money into your Technics. Hence I'd recommend you to just replace the cartridge with something better, but still priceworthy - like an Audio Technica AT92ECD, AT311EP or AT316EP, for example.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 26, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 4
I wouldn't even bother with a new cart for this deck, it's a good starte deck but you can get something so much better for a few hundred dollars. If you are enjoying vinyl why not get a much better turntable like the Music Hall or Goldring GR2 or Rega P2 often for 2-300 USD. Or a used Thorens TD147/150/160/166 for even less. Decks like this are a big jump up in sound quality from the belt driven technics and often come with a pretty decent cartridge all set up.

Jan 29, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 4
Don't invest in your current rig. Buy a Music Hall MMF-5 or a VPI Scout from Todd. You won't regret it. Todd now carries Dynavector carts. Tough to beat a Scout w/ a 10X5 Dynavector for the dough.
Go big!
CPW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back