Turntable mat question
Mar 20, 2004 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Todd,

I have a question about turntable mats for you.
Do you use aftermarket non-felt mats, or do you just use the stock mat that came with the turntable?

The reason why I'm asking this is that I have a Music Hall MMF-5, which came with a felt mat. Unfortunately, the felt mat tends to pick up all the surface and airborne crap all too easily - and the material sometimes tends to shred itself onto the surface of the vinyl.

I know, using other mats do change the sound. Is it better - or worse - to use a mat other than the stock one (provided that the tonearm is properly adjusted to compensate for the thickness of the mat)?

Just wondering,
Eagle_Driver

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 3
In my experience, changing mats is something like changing cables... you get a different sonic signature, but it's nothing too drastic (some would disagree with me on that). If you take tonearm VTA into account (thickness of the mat) then it's fine to experiment with different mat materials.

There's a ton of things different people have tried at the Vinyl Asylum ... IMO it's worth dropping by there and doing a search or three.

P.S. I know I'm not Todd, just thought I'd drop my opinion...

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
In my experience, changing mats is something like changing cables... you get a different sonic signature, but it's nothing too drastic (some would disagree with me on that). If you take tonearm VTA into account (thickness of the mat) then it's fine to experiment with different mat materials.

There's a ton of things different people have tried at the Vinyl Asylum ... IMO it's worth dropping by there and doing a search or three.

P.S. I know I'm not Todd, just thought I'd drop my opinion...

I agree. There are only a few examples of TT that are supposed to be tuned for their own felt mats...The Linn Sondek comes to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back