Turntable/Amp/Speakers wiring question.
Dec 23, 2023 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Longstrong

New Head-Fier
Hello! I'm newer to this hobby and have a quick question.

I have an Audio-Technica LP-120XUSB turntable and Klipsch R-51PM Powered speakers. Sounds nice but wanted to listen with my beloved DT880's while my wife was sleeping in the other room. I overlooked the fact that the speakers have an aux jack and I could've tested to see if that would drive my headphones which are on the harder end to drive.

Anyhow, I hooked up my Schiit Magni 3 instead to the chain. Turntable > Magni > Speakers. Now both my speakers and turntable have phono/line switches. And I beileve they were both set to phono. I listened to 3 records like this through my headphones and it sounded awesome! I was super happy to have it hooked up and working. The next day I tried to listen to a record over the speaker with the same setup, but immediately heard a lot of popping and ticks and shut that crap down asap.

My question to you is, can this work together? And if so, what should I set the phono/line switches to on my turntable and speakers?

Alternatively, I have a JDS Labs Element II amp/dac that I could use in lieu of the magni 3, but I was planning on selling or trading it for some new headphones.

Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas :)

Just tried hooking my DT880's into the AUX output and nothing happened which I suspected.

Dec 24, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 7
In order for it to work with both your speakers and headphones, you need to set the turntable's output to "phono," and the speakers' input should be set to "line." Using "phono" means that the signal is boosted before it's sent to the amplifier (pre-amplified), and a specific EQ (RIAA) curve is applied. If you do that twice you'll get lots of unwanted noise, it'll be too loud, and it will sound very bass heavy.
If you don't like the turntable's built in phono preamp, you could insert an outboard preamp between the turntable and headphone amp. Just make sure both the turntable and speakers are set to "line."

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 7
In order for it to work with both your speakers and headphones, you need to set the turntable's output to "phono," and the speakers' input should be set to "line." Using "phono" means that the signal is boosted before it's sent to the amplifier (pre-amplified), and a specific EQ (RIAA) curve is applied. If you do that twice you'll get lots of unwanted noise, it'll be too loud, and it will sound very bass heavy.
If you don't like the turntable's built in phono preamp, you could insert an outboard preamp between the turntable and headphone amp. Just make sure both the turntable and speakers are set to "line."
Just saw this! Thank you so much for the help and thorough explanation, you're the best

I will connect it this way when I'm home from work and report back 🫡

Dec 27, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 7
Just tried the way you suggested, but it was very quiet and lacked bass even when I had everything cranked. So I just tried to switch preamps, using the line setting on turntable and the phono setting on the speakers. The signal was much stronger and had a lot more bass, maybe too much lol. Wondering if this is just because the powered speakers have a better preamp than the turntable?

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 7
You actually want both the speakers and turntable set to “line” in this setup, with neither set to phono. Setting it to “line” means that the turntable is doing the riaa correction and amplification internally and sending out a line level signal that can be used without an external phono amp, which is what you need for your Magni since the Magni doesn’t have a phono amp. Your speakers will then also be set to “line” since the turntable is outputting a line level signal

Dec 27, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 7
You actually want both the speakers and turntable set to “line” in this setup, with neither set to phono. Setting it to “line” means that the turntable is doing the riaa correction and amplification internally and sending out a line level signal that can be used without an external phono amp, which is what you need for your Magni since the Magni doesn’t have a phono amp. Your speakers will then also be set to “line” since the turntable is outputting a line level signal
Alright so I just switched both to line and it sounds great!

Thank you for the help 🙏

Yes, I got it wrong. I don't know what I was thinking. Sorry!

I think @HipHopScribe is right.
Don't be sorry! I appreciate you both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back