Tubes
Oct 10, 2008 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Planar_head

500+ Head-Fier
Tubes. Most of you have heard the magic of tubes. I read about these mystical vials of electric warmth and their unique ability to reshape music of any format into a spectacular sound. Many reviews of tube amps led me to believe that there was a very prominent sound I should be aware of, their colored lenses on the audio not dissimilar to a pair of sunglasses. I was not ready for what I saw or heard the moment I stepped past the reflective glass threshold. Soundlessly, a foreign head greeted me, donning a pair of immaculate Grado GS-1000’s. Its stone head was composed, as if the headphones had transfixed it; as if the headphones were soothing the unmovable stone face. I began shaking; at least it felt as if I was. I shook like a crack addict that hasn’t had his fix. I took it all in, but it was far too much. I was in disbelief. This is the place I wasn’t expecting, yet I came and got far more than I could have even dreamt of. The dealer brought me to the auditioning room, where a set of beautiful round tube greeted me, seated orderly in their amps, well groomed, clean shaven, and at that moment, off. I stood until he began putting in the shiny mini-disc into its player. He gave me the rundown on some of the gear he was using: Russian tubes and an American speaker, both names which I can’t recall. I did not ask any questions; I only reviewed my mental notes on how tubes are going to sound. I watched them warm up and they began to glow. I forgot what I was thinking when the sound began to play. The first song began to play; it didn’t strike me quite yet. The second track hit me in the head – there was a stage suspended between the two speakers. There was an immaculate grained texture in her voice, so natural, as if the magic maiden came out to visit us from her disc of silver. The bassist played in the back, passing notes here and there. It was inviting, rounded, dynamically soothing. He pulled some low notes, it was incredible, overwhelming, and more than I had ever heard this tight and focused. It was not real, but it felt like it could be real if you wished for it hard enough. I didn’t wish, but the magical musicians gave me a warm elixir, and I had already taken it all in. The third track began to play. The piano was warm and inviting, its clear calls tolled, it sang beautifully. However, it could only shrink back against the voice of another maiden. She had come to grace up with her presence. Her voice was natural and soulful, textured, lively, airy. Her subjects were suspended around her, levitating on this stage of air, in measurable steps into this mystical stage. The show ended, and the stage disappeared back into its magic silver disc. It was pure euphoria. I do not miss these musicians, for they have shown me the path I should take. The dealer led me out of the room, away from the magic stage. I think I left my jaw there however, but if he finds it he can add it to his collection of fallen jaws.

Writer comments:
I wrote this because I needed to get it out of my head, and I figured I could put it here, since I said I would put it here. If you find any grammatical mistakes, please tell me. Thanks for reading!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back