Tubes - Signs of burn in?
May 18, 2002 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I've had my X-Cans V2 for about 9 months now... completely as stock, no mods - and the first pair of MDR-CD1700s I had (and sold) clipped on the bottom registers constantly... At the time I mentioned this and was told that this was due to them being 32ohms, and requiring too much juice from the amp... fair enough.

Back to present day, and another pair of CD1700s...

First off, I fired up the X Can V2 with my MDR-V6 (63ohms) and it sounded great, really airy... great quality ~ smooth bass, I was more than happy. I got brave and put my (new) CD1700s back into the X Can... expecting the worst, and was pleasantly suprised... no distortion in the bottom registers whatsoever!!
biggrin.gif

Even my MDR-F1s at a ridiculously low 12ohms don't distort (although they do sound a little dull through the XC... is this a sympton of being under-nourished??) - So, why did the original pair of CD1700s I had distort? sample variation of the headphones... or do tubes wear in, and become more accomodating of 'phones that require more power?

Thanks
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2002 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 4
There is no way I could explain electronic wise what is happening in your system. But, I will say that tubes do have a burn in process. I recently bought some new tubes for my amp. At first listen, I was very upset with the sound. Now, after letting the tubes burn in for over 300 hours all I can say is YES! My amp is now completely quiet. I always though my power tube was junk.
As for your F1s, some headphones, and amps just don't mix that well. Good luck!

May 18, 2002 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks CrescendoPower...

Roxette, Look Sharp... listening to that right now
wink.gif
my favourites on that CD.. Sleeping Single, Paint & Listen to your heart... great CD
biggrin.gif

Does anyone else know if the characteristics of tubes (or probably more importantly the X Can) mellow out over time, making the unit more accomodating of low impedance 'phones?

Thanks

May 18, 2002 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Thanks CrescendoPower...

Roxette, Look Sharp... listening to that right now
wink.gif
my favourites on that CD.. Sleeping Single, Paint & Listen to your heart... great CD
biggrin.gif

Does anyone else know if the characteristics of tubes (or probably more importantly the X Can) mellow out over time, making the unit more accomodating of low impedance 'phones?

Thanks

Yep! Roxette's Look Sharp is a great album. Pop fans should definitely have that one.
As for your amp, I know sometimes that tubes can be changed, or rolled in to lower the output impedance of the amp. But, I don't believe that over time tube output impedances change with burn in. Their characteristic just change sonically. But, I'm no electrican.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back