Tube Vs Solid State
Apr 11, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #18 of 30
This is why I upgraded to the Schiit Lyr+ — the best (or greateness) of both worlds. In reality, I hardly switch over to the solid state side of the Lyr+
im use hybrid amp, but want portable very nice sound quality solid state dac too for my complete. does ifi neo or rme adi2 is good option and i ll get better sound vs my xduoo ta-22 hybrid amp now? or maybe better look to xduoo xd05 bal or ifi signature amps? but my stellia no need power amp drive ir.

do you feel tube sound from Lyr+ with one tube only? stock tube use or bought better one?

Apr 11, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #23 of 30
Both sound stages are very musical and engaging. The Solid State is obviously more neutral and analytical. But I prefer the warmer, immersive and holographic soundstage. It's sort of the difference between driving down the highway in good weather through the urban corridors of the East Coast and driving into the California desert with the windows down at sunset in summer. Far more color and depth on the tube side.

Apr 12, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #25 of 30
Both sound stages are very musical and engaging. The Solid State is obviously more neutral and analytical. But I prefer the warmer, immersive and holographic soundstage. It's sort of the difference between driving down the highway in good weather through the urban corridors of the East Coast and driving into the California desert with the windows down at sunset in summer. Far more color and depth on the tube side.
https://www.amazon.com/Schiit-Lyr-Hybrid-Headphone-Amplifier/product-reviews/B004T335BK i see reviews is so so from lyr+ users....

Apr 14, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #26 of 30
Other possilble alternative to consider is a tube pre-amp.

I my chain I have one (Bellari Audio PA555 - Preamplifier) and the chain ends with a solid state headphone amp (Bellari Audio HA543 - Headphone Amplifier).
This combination works well too and I get the best of both worlds:
https://www.bellariaudio.com/index.php/products/pa555-preamplifier/
https://www.bellariaudio.com/index.php/products/ha543-headphone-amplifier/

P.S. DAC feeds into pre-amp and from there the sound remains analogue all the way... have also other kit in between pre-amp and headphone amp..

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #27 of 30
To the OP if you listen to a decent tube amp and then a decent solid state amp you will understand there is a difference. I have a hard time enjoying anything solid state anymore. In a general sense solid state has a flatter sound stage. I find it less "organic" or "3D" or "natural" sounding.

That is a very general comment. There are plenty of very good solid state amp models that sound better than not so great tube amps models.

Apr 26, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #28 of 30
tubes, SS, hybrid, Class A, Class AB, blah blah...

From my moderate experience win the headphone world, Senn 600/800 sure like OTL tubes, and planars like SS amps with lots of juice. But there are exceptions.

Best delve for yourself. You don't want to decide on generalities or shibboleths do you?

Apr 26, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #29 of 30
…. Best delve for yourself. You don't want to decide on generalities or shibboleths do you?
…. and try this little mind-twister: generalisations are usually false …. 🤔😳🤔

Apr 26, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #30 of 30
tubes, SS, hybrid, Class A, Class AB, blah blah...

From my moderate experience win the headphone world, Senn 600/800 sure like OTL tubes, and planars like SS amps with lots of juice. But there are exceptions.

Best delve for yourself. You don't want to decide on generalities or shibboleths do you?
Shibboleths? I could have googled it but I'm trying to get my posts count up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back