trying to figure out a new source, ideas needed.
Jan 10, 2012 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kchau

100+ Head-Fier
With the idea of getting a Bifrost, I've started thinking of a new source component.

I have roughly 30 gigs of music, 20 of that being lossless, with 10 or so albums in 24-bit.

Right now i just use an iPod photo with a line out dock, and the biggest inconvienence for me is that i have to turn around to change the song.

I have a mac mini, but its on the other side of the room connected to my tv and the rest of my stuff.

So I've considered these options so far, in terms of a digital source for the Bifrost.

1. $600 Another Mac mini, I could also use this as my dedicated server, taking a substantial load off of my main mini. Optical to bifrost, full 24/96 playback
2. $350 An iPod Classic, and a Pure i20 transport dock. Optical to bifrost, only 24/48khz playback.
3. $100 Airport express, cheapest solution, but only 16/44.1 playback. Optical to bifrost.
4. $100 Apple TV, but itunes downsamples to 16/44.1 and ATV upsamples to 24/48, ridiculous.
4. $100 Usb upgrade for bifrost, and use my macbook air. A little cumbersome, I don't keep any music on my air, it's all on iCloud in 256 or on my mini.
5. ????

Please add suggestions, looking for best bang for the buck, and integrates into my existing equipment nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back