true adudiophile card?
Nov 16, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #61 of 72
I am mainly interested in the Xonar HDAV1.3 because it appears that it outputs I2S through the pins for the analog card. This way I can send I2S directly to my DAC.

I need to have this verified though before going ahead and buying one.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #62 of 72
Not sure about the card you need to also cover "gaming", but I've found quality of the EMU cards combined with the superior flexibility offered by Patchmix is second to none.

Info on 24/96/5.1 via S/PDIF: Lossless DVD-Audio and DTS-CD over analogue w/ MC12...finally got it working

The only thing with the EMU cards is whichever you choose to use, Coax S/PDIF or Toslink, the digital in & out must be the same (i.e. you can't mix and match coax with Toslink).

DC

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #63 of 72
The HDAV 1.3 has impressive specs and overall soundquality, making it the top card in the current Xonar Lineup. The replacable opamps are nice also.

The Xonar Essence will take over the top spot of the Xonar Line up with higher specification and better sound quality once released.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #65 of 72
I would say this thread is very informative and confusing at the same time, after all the reading and surfing i still dont know what card to get for my entry level high end system...

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #66 of 72
People are posting opinions mostly based on specs which often involve the marketing dept. & "selective science". My experience is that any of the decent name brand cards will give you excellent fidelity, the important part is to ask how you will be using the card. How many devices are you connecting? in what way?

That said, I have found the EMU cards and Patchmix software indespensible with my system. Tons of I/O on the 1212M. However, if I want to upsample audio but need to also upsample directshow output for video, because I don't want to switch to a new session (i.e. 44kHz) every single time I need to play a video (Patchmix doesn't switch sample rate on the fly - possible drawback?), I can route audio from the same app (J. River MC12) via ASIO for audio and Wav output to the same hardware via Patchmix. Just one example. As I said earlier, you mentioned games; I don't know a lot about EAX or if that is something you essential but that often seems to be criteria included when people mention gaming.

DC

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #67 of 72
Actually, I am basing my opinions and suggestions on cards I have tested and used.

The OP does need to decide a "feature" list and this will help make his decision easier.

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #68 of 72
well asus just confirmed a even better card than the hdav 1.3 its called the xonar essence stx with even more impresive hardware on the board and even better emi sheilding.

well it seems like everyone knows this allready.

but yea im likeing the headphone amp thats built into the card optimized from 32-600 ohm. thats one of the selling points for me.

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #69 of 72
Useful?

Quote:

"3-Not all the soundcards are bit transparent. Many people think it is only because of software or drivers but it is not always the case. For example some of the soundcards I tested are not bit perfect because they have a hardware mixer application that does dither all the time even if there is only one in and one out activated. It is the case of M-Audio Audiophile soundcard series. Also some month ago I did some null tests to find out if the optical out of the new Intel macs is bit transparent or not. It is not. After the null test there is a residual noise somewhere at around -93dB (not sure about the value, I should check the numbers) "

from http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/lav...-forum-212758/

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #70 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well asus just confirmed a even better card than the hdav 1.3 its called the xonar essence stx with even more impresive hardware on the board and even better emi sheilding.

well it seems like everyone knows this allready.

but yea im likeing the headphone amp thats built into the card optimized from 32-600 ohm. thats one of the selling points for me.

The Essence STX sounds amazing.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #71 of 72
You should consider RME.
why??
Stable driver software.
Frequently upgraded driver.
Nice customer supports.
Super sound quality.
A lot of plugs in options(RCA, COAXIAL, ABS, XLR,...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back