Trouble getting loud sound from my Fisher early 80's table
Mar 27, 2006 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ashgromnies

Head-Fier
It's model # MT-6118. It has no pre-amp, so I tried it plugged into my CMoy amp but it was WAY too quiet! So then I tried plugging it in my Onkyo HT-R410 receiever's cassette-in(it has no Phono in!) and it was still too quiet, even with the volume maxed.
My Sony PS-LX250H doesn't have that problem, because it has a preamp already. Do you think I'd be better off A) using the CMoy in conjunction with the Onkyo, B) just using the Sony?

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 7
You need a phono input! You can buy an external phono amplifier, but you need somethign in the line with the turntable before you use conventional amplification.

Mar 28, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
You need a phono input! You can buy an external phono amplifier, but you need somethign in the line with the turntable before you use conventional amplification.

what he said! if your sony is the only thing in your house with a phono stage, then keep using it! you can get a nice vintage marantz for 30 bucks on ebay that has a nice tuner phono stage, etc on it - my 2226 has a nice headphone out, i heard 2230 is even better, plus you get a speaker system to boot.

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
what he said! if your sony is the only thing in your house with a phono stage, then keep using it! you can get a nice vintage marantz for 30 bucks on ebay that has a nice tuner phono stage, etc on it - my 2226 has a nice headphone out, i heard 2230 is even better, plus you get a speaker system to boot.

I have an old Sony receiver somewhere with a phono input. I'll try plugging this bad boy into it - the Fisher cost about $300 in the 80's when my dad bought it and he says he replaced the stylus a few years back which was an additional $80 so I'm going to assume it's at least good for a vintage player. Anyone have any experience with these? The Sony works but I notice that with records in slight disarray(like the Boston s/t that is slightly warped and mussed up from who knows what) it skips and crackles like mad. Would that be fixed by using the Fisher, which has a weight you can move on the tone-arm?

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 7
Hmmm... listening to Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath on the Sony+Onkyo combo actually sounded better than the Fisher+Sony combo. The Fisher+Sony seemed way too "boomy" on my HD-555s and had very little high-end frequency response... everything seemed to be on the low end and I fear it damaged my phones because it had so much bass that they were crackling(KSH KSH whenever there was a bass hit).
With lower bass, however, the thing seemed a lot muddier than the Sony+Onkyo.
I'll try a different album out. I really want to like this Fisher but it's just not doing it for me right now.

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashgromnies
Hmmm... listening to Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath on the Sony+Onkyo combo actually sounded better than the Fisher+Sony combo. The Fisher+Sony seemed way too "boomy" on my HD-555s and had very little high-end frequency response... everything seemed to be on the low end and I fear it damaged my phones because it had so much bass that they were crackling(KSH KSH whenever there was a bass hit).
With lower bass, however, the thing seemed a lot muddier than the Sony+Onkyo.
I'll try a different album out. I really want to like this Fisher but it's just not doing it for me right now.

A-ha! I threw the Boston in and I really liked how the Fisher handled it. I can't recall too well the performance of the Sony on it, but I don't think it was quite this good. "More Than a Feeling" was SWEET, I noticed a bassline I'd never even heard before.

Time to test some hip-hop on the two... I got some Aceyalone+RJD2 single today that I'll test on 'em.

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 7
The Fisher definitely has some problems... extremely muddled sound and right-channel distortion are what I've noticed so far.
Do you think replacing the cartridge+stylus with a nice Grado one or something would help? The stylus has sat unused for fifteen years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back