trippy techno?
Dec 9, 2002 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jessica00

500+ Head-Fier
anyone name me some songs/sets that make alot of use of stereo/soundstage in headphones? one song i heard recently had this buzzsaw synth that kinda wobbled around your head with the beat..trippy as hell
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2002 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 12
Joe Satriani - Engines of Creation
This album has by far the coolest soundstaging I have ever heard. And I like my soundstaging.

ATB - Two Worlds
the 2nd cd "the relaxing world" has some advanced soundstaging.

I'd be glad to send anyone some wavs if they want.

Dec 10, 2002 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 12
alot of psy trance/goa gets like that.. though not all of them use panning, imaging and effects to the fullest..

I'd definately recommend most (all?) Hux Flux tracks. awesome stuff.

Dec 12, 2002 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 12
man oh man oh man.

this is SO my thread

www.slsk.org

james holden - solstice

the best thing happening in progressive house right now. lots of trippy spacey distorted sounds thrown all the bloody hell over the soundstage, balanced with ominous bass and melancholic melodies

bt - fibonacci sequence

mathematical themes ala Darren Aronofsky's "Pi" all throughout a heavily layered track. BT is as good as it gets , or atleast used to be, with layering, spatial effects, and whatnot. you can listen to this ten times and always pick up something new you hadn't noticed.

moshic & zeidan - 2 loose la track

brooding, dark and messed in the head progressive house. rumbling, thundering ominous basslines. incomprehensibly distorted voice in it repeating "I'm so scared". suits the track well.

innate - changes

soul drivers vs. future sound collective dub of this track is what you want - really hard to come by but has this acidic build up in there that just makes it worth the hassle of finding

jeff wayne - war of the worlds (hybrid or tilt mixes are both fine)

stephane K - numb

electrical sounds oscillating from channel to channel makes it sound like someone lit up a tesla coil in between your ears

also by stephane K and his partner john creamer - i love you

I can go on and on and on

PLEASE ASK ME TO.
smily_headphones1.gif

I love spreading the word about good stuff people need to hear

most of these suggestions are cerebral / dark / brooding progressive house but if that's not your thing I can suggest standouts from other genres as well

I think progressive house probably has the greatest potential for producing trippy sounds without ending up sounding cliched, lots of spatial effects employed in the genre generally speaking

Dec 12, 2002 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 12
I think BT is probably the most talented man in techno. He's been playing piano since he was four so naturally, you can assume he's a virtuoso. He's also proficient at guitar and a myriad of other instruments. Aside from that, I'm sure he has no problem picking up chicks.

The diversity on "Movement in Still Life" is amazing and it's not even his furthest stretch; movie scoring, making music for Madonna and even N'Sync, heh. He's amazing.

Anyway, no one has said shpongle yet so...

Shpongle - Are you Shpongle?

DIVINE MOMENTS OF TRUTH

Dec 13, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 12
Yeah, I still haven't had a chance to hear that album all the way through. I know it's a lot more diverse which pretty much leads it to be more cleverly put together. Simon Posford is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back