Triple hybrid IEM for iPhone 5 - is it a waste of money?
Oct 26, 2014 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Joelnx

New Head-Fier
I read lots of material in this forum but, this is my first post. Please execuse me if this question sounds nonsense (and searched for an answer before opening a new thread) ...
I have an iPhone 5 for listening to music while travelling. Most of my music is jazz and in mp3 320 Kbps or V0 variable. I use a sennheiser CX 150 earbud with my iPhone.
Now, I want to upgrade my iem with a T-PEOS Altone200 or Dunu D2000 triple hybrid. But I am not sure about sound quality of iPhone 5. Are these IEMs too much for listening 320 Kbps music in an iPhone 5? Do you think these new IEMs would make any difference, and worth the money? (I have FLAC formats of my albums too. I listened both FLAC and V0 or 320 Kbps MP3 formats in my iphone with CX150. I did not find any difference, so, i ripped my FLACs to 320 Kbps CBR or V0 variable bitrate to be able to load more music to my device. I can use FLAC format, if it would make difference with new IEMs)
Summing it up, do you think a Dunu D2000 or T-PEOS Altone200 would be a needless waste of money for 320 Kbps MP3 with iPhone 5?

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 4
In a nut shell no problem.

First of all the iPhones are decent sources. Secondly, most people can't tell the difference between 320kbps and "lost-less". Finally, the CX150 are pretty entry level so why not upgrade? You can spend more money later on when you feel like something is keeping your you are really enjoying things.

If you real a lot of stuff on this forum you should know people have a lot of opinions. But a lot of times it's just opinions. Some equipment get a terrible rap because one person say something and everyone else starts hearing the same. A lot of confirmation bias. And sometimes people are shooting for minuscule differences. Like you'll see a lot of talk about sub-bass and treble extension or roll off. Well great, if we are all listening to frequency sweeps for music but most of us don't enjoy that. So effectively, does it in isolation mean anything? Hard to say. And personally I have seen a lot of people talk about certain IEMs having better sub bass than other, but when I go see people's measurement I realize they weren't really after sub-bass but some sort of bass hump as the ones they thinks have better sub-bass actually has less in the lowest end. 

Anyhow go ahead and buy something better than your CX150 you'll likely find they do improve your experience. 

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 4
My iPhone 5 is my source - I have played with various iem and have found significant differences (not always improvements) with trying different brands, driver types and configurations. I'm not at all as prolific as some here but I would suggest - from experience - that a hybrid might be the better choice. Perhaps it's just the way I hear but to me the hybrids seem more natural. I found the straight BA to be a little too "clinical", too precise (if that even makes sense) almost cold. The "warmth" of a DD combined with the precision of a BA is the perfect combination for my taste.
I have no experience with the models cited above; although I have read up on them, but what I can say is that you can expect a difference - perhaps a very big difference when upgrading your earphones. If you haven't already done so, download an eq from the app store. I am using audioforge - cost is 2.99 and worth 10X that for the fun you can have with it. A fellow headfier suggested that for me as a "next step" in improving the SQ of my source. There are virtually limitless ways to modify the sound to suit your preference and your gear.
Hope that helps...

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you for replies.
I already have an eq app (eq 10) for my iPhone. 
I usually don't like equalizing the music and i prefer to listen to it as it has been recorded.
But, trebles of both iPhone's original earbud and Sennheiser cx150 was annoying in long term listening, especially if the volume is alittle high. It was mid trebles that was annoying I think. Because, after i decrease 4KHz in equalizer, that sound annoyance disappeared. So I thought that the problem is with the mid trebles.
Since listening to music without equalizing in iPhone was not good, I thought SQ of iPhone might not be decent enough. That's why I asked the question above. 
But your answers helped in deciding.
I think I will buy a 3 way hybrid IEM..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back