Tricky - a reccomendation
Aug 3, 2001 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

massappeal85

100+ Head-Fier
I've gatherd 2 Tricky albums in the past couple a weeks. For those don't know, he is pretty much credited with coining the term "trip hop" (from what I know at least). Albums I've got right now are Angels with Dirty Faces and Juxtapose with DJ Muggs from Cypress Hill and Grease (never heard of him). Neither of the albums really have that much of a hip hop influence musically, defintly more of a abstract trippy ambient rock slightly techno mixture, though occasionally theres a guy MCing (he sounds like andre from outkast) every so often on Juxtapose (which even has a couple acoustic guitar tracks), and Tricky himself defintly has a little MC flavor. It took me awhile to really warm up to the style of the music and vocals, but right now he/she (theres a guy and a girl who sometimes sings) is defintly one of my favorite artists.

I know Neruda was prone to reccomend some artists, so I'm just tossin my 2 cents. I really don't know how these albums stand up hi fi wize, but to me its just good music. Check out a couple MP3s or somethin at CD now and tell what you think (favorite track is track 4 off of Angels with Dirty Faces so far, check it out)...

Aug 5, 2001 at 3:11 PM Post #7 of 10
Do any of those have "hell is round the corner"? I've been meaning to get whatever album that song was on for about... 4 years now (ever since I saw the video on AMP)...

Somewhere I heard blowback was going to be more "poppish", which is frightening sounding, but I don't think I'll care considering Juxtapose has a little level of pop as well...

Next time I get some money I'll pick up those two albums, thanks.

Aug 5, 2001 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 10
Ooh, I'll have to give this guy a listen when I can.

Have you listened to anything by Amon Tobin before? You might enjoy some of his work, considering that his stuff is a little bit of everything (sans vocals).

Muu

Aug 5, 2001 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 10
"Hell is 'Round the Corner" is on Maxinquaye, which is an excellent album. I actually enjoy it much more than Pre-millenium Tension because it's not quite so dark, but tension is still pretty good. I haven't heard much of the new stuff so i can't really pass judgement, but it just doesn't interest me as much for some reason.

Aug 6, 2001 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 10
Yea, I've heard of Amon Tobin (got a couple MP3s and a CD). Seems to be in the same league as DJ Vadim and ****.

I like dark, so maybe I'll pick up pre millenium tension first, but chances are I'll just grab a couple in one full swoop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back