tremendous climaxes
Sep 28, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #31 of 39
I gotta agree on the Stairway to Heaven

I also will second Godspeed You Black Emperor!'s Slow Riot for New zero Kanada---Moya i beleive is the name of the 1st track...if you listen to it you can't miss it (the climax that is).

And I'm also gonna toss out one Pink Floyd song that is all-too-often overlooked: the Atom Heart Mother Suite. Climax is right about at the end of this 23+ minute masterpiece. Pretty much occurs from the words 'silence in the studio' (i think this happens around the 20 minute mark...) and caries to the end. This in itself continues to build to about a minute or two before the end of the song...so you kind of get a climax on top of a climax. Truly a beautiful piece. Definitely is not the Pink Floyd most people are familiar with, though.

Sep 28, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #32 of 39
Dave Matthews Band - All Along the Watchtower : An old teacher of mine has been to a few concerts they've performed this at and has said every hair on his body stood on end when the fiddle/sax come in and Dave's voice does to that deep scary thing.... and I get goosebumps just listening to it at home!!!!

Speaking of goosebumps... does Halloween (track 6 on Before These Crowded Streets) give anyone else some major willies from about the 2:45 mark?

Oct 6, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Interesting! I really did mean Page's break after the noisy interlude. I hear the part near the end as retrospective, but then it could instead be a double climax! (And isn't it "WAY down inside"---I guess I should get a lyric sheet!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Definitely. While Page's little solo is a nice break in the build-up, i think the greater climax is ~4:20 into it when Plant holds the "loooooovvveeeeee...." and the drums start, then bam! an even heavier barrage of riffs by Page. Awesome song.

Oct 6, 2002 at 5:36 PM Post #35 of 39
Respighi Pines of Rome. The last 5 minutes of"the pines along the appian way". It starts out with the ghostly legions barely heard in the distance and ends with the triumphant army marching right into your room amid the fanfare of brass , drums and a full blown orchestra.
best cd is Reiner on RCA with a second choice of Lane on Telarc.

Oct 6, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Interesting! I really did mean Page's break after the noisy interlude. I hear the part near the end as retrospective, but then it could instead be a double climax! (And isn't it "WAY down inside"---I guess I should get a lyric sheet!)
smily_headphones1.gif

You are right...in the lyrics it's writen "WAY" down inside---women you need---Looooooove... and here come the drums and the guitar climax entrance...
I don't know - maybe I have a dirty mind...
wink.gif
The lines before the climax were: "way down inside---I want to give you my love---I want to give you *EVERY INCH* of my love" ... also in the live version - The Song Remains the Same - he sings in the next line "women you need *IT* (he adds the word *IT*) ... I put 1+1 together (the word *IT*+"*EVERY INCH*of my love") and with all the aah,aah,ahh sounds he makes before I thought I heard in the climax lines "*WAIT* down inside"... interesting if he really says it in the live version or it's only my imagination...
confused.gif
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

...anyway it's a great song
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #37 of 39
Yes, it's a great song! For those of us who like some musical climaxes to reflect other kinds of climaxes, there are few things to match it--have to go to classical music!

If the confused noisy part before Page's solo, there's a lot of "ooo ahh ahh" stuff too, then when the drums and guitar go off....

The end is either "here we go again" or else reflecting on the middle.
smily_headphones1.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 8:11 AM Post #38 of 39
kind of a departure from the typical replies in this thread, but max graham's remix of 'vicious circles' has by far the most intense climax I've ever heard in a song. like a supersonic fighter plane screaming faster and faster, higher and higher.

Oct 17, 2002 at 1:50 PM Post #39 of 39
Metallica - Orion
Starting at about the 4 minute mark it slowly builds from a solo bass line to an amazing guitar solo, and then there's a quick break after which they kick into overdrive and play a fast and heavy ending solo.

Metallica - Call of Ktulu
Builds from quiet plucked guitars to a raging wall of noise during and after the 1st guitar solo. Also has the ending that makes you think it's ended about 3 times before it actually ends.

Jimi Hendrix - Hear my Train a Comin' (live version from Blues album)
Amazing ending to this 12 minute song, Hendrix wails on his guitar while Mitch Mitchell does some amazing drum fills.

Chantal Kreviazuk - Green Apples
Starts with Chantal singing softly, and ends with her singing her heart out. Instruments come in one by one during song and make for a real cool tune.

Tori Amos - Pretty Good Year
The part a bit after the 2nd verse where it goes from barely above a whisper to full out. Live it just knocks you back in your seat a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back