TREAD; RA-1 Clone; Summary of Builds
Dec 1, 2007 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

joneeboi

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello Blog Creeper,

I just finished a TREAD in the past little while. It wasn't so bad. One of my fastest builds. Thanks, Tangent, for the awesome kit. It's sitting at around 14.4V. I'll probably kick that up a notch once the PIMETA gets under way. I housed it in a wallwart and I intend to use it for a PIMETA that's in the works.

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_images/hdpn_amp.gif

Currently the only thing I can test it with is my RA-1 Clone, which has had some pleasant results. I expected to hear more bass, and that's what I got. I originally had an OPA2107 in the socket, but I figured it would be a pretty good time to throw in the JRC4556AD. What a surprising sound! The highs are pretty clear, the sound balanced, the bass pretty plentiful and punchy. I was not expecting this kind of signature. I liked the 2107 for its punch, but now I'm not so sure I prefer it over the 4556. Yes, I know it is found at the RatShack and really cheap desktop speaker systems, but the sound is what counts. Based purely on sound, I'd say this opamp isn't that bad. Then again, I'm not well-exposed in opamps. Back to the other hand, I like this sound. Maybe the RA-1 wasn't such a waste of time after all. Socketing in the OPA2107 may have been a mistake. I'm quite sure that the $500 RA-1 isn't quite up to par with larryminator's or Killercrush's $500 Melos SHA-1s, but it sounds nice for what it really is.

I have built some things over the months. Find out what they are at Post pics of your builds... Page 135 at post 2693 and 2694. I'd link the posts directly but I don't want to keep you from seeing the other amazing works on the page, like vixr's prototype tube amp. Enjoy
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back