Travis' New CD -- "The Invisible Band"
Jun 21, 2001 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10
Just picked this up today too. Travis is one of my favorite current pop bands. They're Scottish. Their sound is actually quite mellow, and the lead singer (Fran Healey -- he's a guy) has a voice that at times reminds me of Thom Yorke (Radiohead). Music is completely different than Radiohead though -- more pop'ish, more mainstream sounding.

Their previous CD -- The Man Who -- is also excellent.

Jun 21, 2001 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by acidtripwow
I never heard of them. I'll check them out. I know I don't like bands like Radiohead.

acid,

Go to Amazon and listen to the preview of their track from their album The Man Who titled "Writing to Reach You" (track 1).

That'll give you a good idea of their sound.

If you want to hear the Thom Yorke-like vocal stylings in a song that's not at all Radiohead-like, listen to the preview of track 6 titled "Turn."

The Man Who is an excellent album, and the one I'd recommend to someone who hasn't heard them before.

Jun 27, 2001 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 10
Travis is cool, they have a great calm sound. Big in the UK, no?
Also have you guys heard "My Happiness" by Powderfinger ? They are really big in Australia, but only just emerging in North America. And "Fill Me In" by Craig David (He's the youngest R&B Singer in the UK to have a no. 1 song - 20 yrs old)

Jun 27, 2001 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 10
Powderfinger?

They sound like Goldfinger @ all?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2003 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 10
Jude, I'm totally dredging this thread up from a couple years ago
wink.gif

I've heard the song "Sing" by Travis, and really like it -- which of their albums is the most like that song?

Jun 1, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 10
MacDEF, if you like "Sing," definately pick up "The Man Who." it is a much more consice and tighter album than "The Invisible Band," which IMO is a bit too relaxed and, umm... overly optimisitc?

"Sing" has a slightly experimental sound to it (courtesy of Nigel Godrich, same producer of Radiohead), and many songs on "The Man Who" reflect that feel. The rest of "The Invisible Band" is very much acoustic based indie-rock, with the exception of "Sing" and "The Humpty Dumpty Love Song," which is a great song!

the first Travis album "Good Feeling" is more "rawk" that the next two, but many of their b-sides keep that same spirit. listen to the hidden track "Blue Flashing Lights" from "The Man Who" and you'll get what i mean.

i'm a sucker for UK based indie music! ask me anything!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back