TOUR CLOSED - US Head-Fi Tour: PWAudio CIEM Upgrade Cables (Both 2-Pin and MMCX) - Starting October 2018
Feb 25, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #152 of 160
Now that the cables are on route to the next participant, it's time to sit down and collect my toughs.

it has been one of the best tour that i participated, and for that i want again to thanks both @Barra and @Kozato to make it happened.
I've purchased quite few cables from Music Sanctuary and PWAudio is one of my favorite cable company, i love the quality of their cables i bought so far.
I was mostly interested to try the top of the range, i already own a 1960 (2 wire) and i ware really curious to compare it versus the 1960 8 wire, the 1950 and the 1980.

I tried these 3 cables with 3 different ciems:
  • Campfire Equinox
  • EE Phantom
  • EE Legend X
As a source i used the new Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, that has a neutral signature and it has been very interesting how different the result paring these 3 ciems with the above mentioned cables.

since i saw the first picture of this cable i was really intrigue by the grey rubber sleeve and i have to say, now that i have it in my possession i can say i'm in love with the overall quality of this cable, it was a very tight braiding but is still very supple.

Since the first minute you start using this cable, you know that is something special, it surprise you with an incredible wast sound-stage with impressive resolution and separation.

Where this cable shines is in the reproduction of the treble, the extension, the amount of details, the precision layering of the elements allow you to appreciate every single notes with highest details without being too bright or strident.
Compared to the treble the mid and bass feel more controlled and layback, both are reproduced with the same technical capability of the treble; transition is fast and controlled, the vocals take advantage of the sound stage.

This cable has been a hit or miss; with the Equinox, the mid and bass were way to recessed to the point it flattened the overall perception.
With the Phantom was definitely better, still lacking some presence in the lower mid and bass but it help to extend the treble and increase the head room.
The Legend X provided instead a very interesting experience, the bass was still there with a much quicker transition, increasing the overall resolution and extending the treble but without being to sharp

it's an extremely technical cable, that allow you to fully appreciate the
Out of the 3 cables the 1950 is the most transparent cable, it has all the quality of a very refined silver cable.

As i already pointed out i already had the 1960 (2 wire) and since that purchase i've been dying to try the 4 wire!
And "unfortunately" it's another great cable, the overall signature is warm with a dense (but absolutely not congested) mid and bass, treble is smoother than the 1950.
also this cable provide a great soundstage, that i definitely would call it 3d, with great separation and resolution thanks to the soundstage. the 2 wire counterpart is slightly warmer and the soundstage is not at the same level, therefore also the separation and overall details are slightly less pronounced. Out of the 3 cables is the one with the most natural, slower transition.

it pairs perfectly with the 3 ciems, i feel is the perfect companion to the Phantom, it doesn't change the overall sound signature of the earphones, it just enhance the performance especially due to the soundstage. Extremely fun with the Equinox but slightly too boomy for the Legend X.

this is another very interesting cable, it's the stiffer of the 3, i used during my daily commute for a couple of days and it's not as comfortable as the other 2.
the overall signature is the perfect blend between the 1950 and the 1960. it's more colored than the 1950 but not as much as the 1960, as a fast attack and decay as the 1950, but with a strong focus on mid and especially bass, the treble are reproduced with great details and are as extended as the 1950.
Also this cable as the same great, vast soundstage and separation, overall it found it to be the most interesting one, especially the best for the Legend X, Equinox follows very closely but i personally found it too fast fro the Phantom.

last point, the most impressive area of all 3 cables is the soundstage, sorry if i repeat myself, all of them have a great soundstage, that i think is very similar in the 3 cables, but i perceive it in a different way due to the 3 different sound signatures.

if i had to choose one cable i would go with the 1960 4 wire, it's the one that match my preferences and most of my earphones, the 1980 is as interesting but is not as comfortable as the other 2.
Great writeup. :smile_phones:

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #153 of 160
Received kit from @SilverEars 2.27.

I'm traveling in the next few days, so I'll probably be shipping these on early.

@Barra, will you let me know who's up next so I can contact them?

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #154 of 160
Hey Guys,

I'm traveling tomorrow and will be gone for 3 weeks.

If I don't receive information about who to ship to next, these cables will be just be sitting in my apartment for the next 3 weeks...

@Barra can you please let me know who's next on the tour, so I can prepare to ship to the next person?

Mar 3, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #155 of 160
Looking at the list, it look like @ctsooner22 was supposed to be next, but I believe he removed himself from the tour.

If there's nobody left, does this mean these will be mailed back to you, @Barra?

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #156 of 160
I've confirmed with @ctsooner22 that he has pulled out of the tour, which means I'm the last one on the East Coast.

@Barra, I've boxed these back up and they are sitting safely in my apartment.

Please let me know your address and I'll ship these back to you when I return from my trip in a few weeks.

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #157 of 160
I've confirmed with @ctsooner22 that he has pulled out of the tour, which means I'm the last one on the East Coast.

@Barra, I've boxed these back up and they are sitting safely in my apartment.

Please let me know your address and I'll ship these back to you when I return from my trip in a few weeks.
Just seeing this now, have been heads down for a product launch. PM'ing you with my address.

Apr 8, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #158 of 160
Matchups with CA Solaris
PW Audio 1950s - Sounds neutral with the Solaris. A little better than the stock cable. Cables change an IEM's sound by 5-10% at max. This cable is a little better than the stock. It's a very neutral cable. I would say that the stock cable sounds a little unpolished compared to this. The stock cable sounds as if there are some rough edges that this cable removes. Think of this as a neutral cable refined to an extreme degree.

PW Audio 1960s 4 wire - Makes the Solaris "thicker". This is a typical copper cable. I would even say this is one of the best Copper Cables I have heard. It's very detailed for Copper which was a shocker. One interesting thing it does is that it makes the vocals airy and increases the soundstage by quite a bit. The vocals are just amazing with this. Bass is looser but has more impact. If want a thicker Solaris, this comes very close to a perfect cable however it does what every other copper cable does and makes the Solaris thicker and warmer. It kind of mutes the Treble a little but not to the degree of most copper wires. It's just not on par with anything Silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back