Total Bithead w/HD595, AH-D1001K or K 701
Apr 27, 2008 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

zubcut

New Head-Fier
If you had only a Total Bithead amp (and budget) to power them, which of these headphones would you reccomend: Sennheiser HD 595, Denon AH-D1001K, Denon-AHD2000, or AKG K 701?

I understand which are the better headphones, but was wondering if the Bithead can adequately power all of them or not. For example, would the HD595 sound better than the K701 with the Headroom mobile line of amps? I am a professional symphony violinist who listens mainly to classical, accoustic, traditional jazz and some pop music, but occasionally to just about every genre. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 5
I have a pair of K701's and a pair of HD595's, and a total airhead amp. Even powered by batteries, it powers both adequately. IMHO, the K701's sound better with the Airhead/Bithead, but I've found that to be the case since the K701's are superior headphones in most regards than the HD595's. The only thing the 595's do better is in terms of quantity of bass, but not quality of bass though. If you decide on the K701's with the bithead though, you will want to keep batteries in the battery compartment at all times the amp is on, even when using it via usb, since the Bithead has no AC Adaptor jack, and the 5V provided by the USB connection isn't quite enough to power the amp to produce satisfying volume levels before clipping with the K701's. However by turning the amp on with batteries in when you plug the usb in, the amp should produce satisfying if not spectacularly loud volume even when used with the USB DAC. I hope this helps.

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 5
I've got a BitHead and tested all the headphones you mentioned through it. My impression was that yes, it can power the K701 to adequate listening levels, but certainly not to it's full potential. The K701 is a headphone that really does benefit from high end amplifiers - and even more so when it's recabled to balanced. The Denon's sound great through the Bithead. Personally, I find the Denons underdamped and chattery in the bass, as well as a bit on the rounded side. Actually - for the kind of music you're listening to they seem to me like a pretty appropriate choice if you can live with the high heat and weight of either of those "closed" 'phones.
I think your best bet is the 595, which can be well driven by the BitHead, and, to my ears, has a very "right" sound. Also an excellent choice for the types of music you listed. Comfort is good, and the price is even better.
Remember, this is just my opinion, and it's no better than anyone else's.
Best to get the BitHead, and go test all of 'em and trust what your ears tell you!
Good luck,
M

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 5
The Bithead is fine with any of the headphones you listed. I've used it with my D2000, and my K701 and I find that they sound good. However, I definitely prefer the D2000 to my K701 with ANY amp I've tried it on just because it's the better sounding headphone.

Apr 28, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 5
I have the D2000's with a bithead that have seen about 4 hours of use so far. Even on the low setting the bithead provides adequate power for me.

Honestly, I get plenty of volume right out of the laptop or ipod but find them less muddy out of the bithead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back