Total bit-head water damage
May 19, 2008 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ebolaRETURNS

New Head-Fier
Hello all.
Being the dolt that I am, I spilled a glass of water on my total bit head. The splash was thorough enough that I could pour excess liquid by tilting the unit (and indeed have done so to try to dry it). At this point, if wondering what I should do. I am hesitant to plug it back into my computer for fear of a short somehow damaging my computer or cans (can you tell that I'm not the most electrically savvy person out there?). Any suggestions?

----Andy

May 19, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 10
As GordonFreeman said, take the battery cover off and the batteries also if you have not already done so. Let it dry out for as long as you deem necessary to dry it out completely, then put it together and try it out.

May 19, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 10
This goes for any water damage to almost every device...

9 times out of 10 itsnot the water that damages the device, its you trying to turn it on when its got water on it and shorting everything out.

May 20, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 10
When I used to work for Tektronix we would take oscilloscopes out back, take the covers off, and hose them down (though we had a deionized, clean water source) to wash the dirt out and then let them dry for two days.

As long as it was just water it shouldn't be a problem. If it had something in it (flavoring ect) you should wash it with water and then let it dry.

May 20, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 10
yep..i use to work for a fab company and we washed freshly soldered items in soap and water.

May 21, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #7 of 10
you're lucky it wasn't on when the spill happened!
But like the others said - give it a really really good drying-out and you should be fine.

Jul 13, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 10
Head Room repaired it. Turned out that the only issue was corroded connectors inside.

They're customer service is TOP NOTCH.
smily_headphones1.gif

Very pleased.

Jul 20, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I used to work for Tektronix ...

Tyll, this brought back good memories. When I worked for TVA back in the mid 1980's through 1990 we purchased various (3) Tektronix workstations and used them extensively for their 2D cad. Very good gear I thought, it even made it through with me banging on the digitizing pad.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back