Torque Audio outs a new set of interchangeable TorqueValves for custom tuning its in-ear headphones
Nov 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pwodarz

New Head-Fier
Article from engadget: 

Fresh off the release of its t103z in-ear headphones, Torque Audio took the stage atExpand NYC to announce another color-coded customization add-on for the audio wares. In the coming months, the outfit will release three more TorqueValves for tweaking those earbuds to fit personal sensibilities and even specific genres. The $180 t103z model comes with three of the interchangeable valves in the box for reference, bass boost (Deep Valve) and crisp highs (Clear Valve) to cover a broad spectrum of listening. This new set of three includes the Balance Valve for a mix of beefy lows andpunchy highs, the Smooth Valve for rhythms and the Bliss Valve for enhanced vocal reproduction. Priced at $20 per pair, the trio expands Torque's interchangeable valve collection that will be available as a full set only with the upcoming t106z model.

We had a change to briefly test all six and were pleasantly surprised that each one offered a recognizably unique sound. From one pair of valves to the next, the difference was immediately apparent and the units were quite easy to swap out when needed. Overall clarity in sound was noticeable pretty quickly as well, keeping the track from being muffled across the full gamut of TorqueValves. Truth be told, this editor preferred the Balance Valve for its nice mix of bass and treble. To improve the overall feel of the headphones, a pack of TorqueTips will soon serve up a range of sizes and softness across nine pairs of the actual buds themselves. This allows for not only replacing those pesky lost covers, but also being able to adapt to different listening situations should the need arise. For a closer look at the t103z in-ears, peek at the gallery just down below.
Full article: http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/08/torque-audio-new-torquevalves/
Torque Audio Website: http://www.torque-audio.com/

Interesting idea, I haven't seen or heard anything about the company here on head-fi. Anyone have any experience with their products?

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 7
  I'm in the midst of writing a review of the Torque t103z.  I'd say it matches up very well to the GR07 MK2 (which I'm using for comparison purposes).  The Torque is more flexible offering different valves (like a mechanical EQ) so if you don't like one sound signature you can switch it out for a different one.  It should also be noted if you have smaller ears the Torque is more comfortable while the GR07 can (and for me does) rub against the outer ear.  On the other hand the GR07 offers superior dynamics.  Both are worth owning.

Comparable to GR07 MK2? Hmmm interesting...

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 7
I've had a few days to listen to the new valves.  The blue, smooth valve is excellent and I'm continually defaulting to this one.  The green balance valve will appeal to those who favor a U/V shaped signature (without sacrificing the Torque's impressively clear vocals).  Sadly the purple/bliss valve I was initially most interested in disappoints.

I'll link to a my full review on this thread when it's completed.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #5 of 7
This new set of three includes the Balance Valve for a mix of beefy lows andpunchy highs, the Smooth Valve for rhythms and the Bliss Valve for enhanced vocal reproduction. Priced at $20 per pair, the trio expands Torque's interchangeable valve collection that will be available as a full set only with the upcoming t106z model.

If the greens are the Balanced set, I'm not quite sure if they're new. They had them on store pairs last time I tried. 
  They look like this without the valves.

As you can see (well not really, the camera's schiit) the valves work through varying tube shapes and openings. The grills are the same. No additional dampeners used. It's all in the tubes and the rims. I'll bring a better camera next time.

Black is the treble valve (basically a straight tube and grill) - this one sounded the best to me. Gave it some nice balance, unfortunately it accentuated the treble peaks (they're there). Yellow was the bass valve (conical tube inside) and they're a bloated mess. Reds are the reference, and they gave it a nice V-shaped balance. Still a bit tubby but not too bad. I'm just more partial to the blacks. The ones not seen in the picture (they're on the IEM) are the greens. I forgot what they do. A bit tubby sounding as well.

So all in all, they sounded nice. Very clean decay, not a lot of grain. The treble had some dips and peaks - less so on the red valves. More upper bass lingering but the mids aren't as thick as the M200s. I can't complain. If I could get the treble valve's bass quantity and smooth the treble into something like the red's I'd be happier. The kicker on these is the build. Stupendous metal, feels great in the hands. Flat cables are standard fare, not much to say about them. For the price, they'd do fine. I liked the mids more than the M200s - clearer. The stage is less flat and more of a spherical blob. 

There's also a bunch of different valves - the store owner said that they sent him some pink valves to experiment with. Don't quote me on that.

Nov 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 7
Not an iem guy but man they are doing some COOL STUFF with iems! I hope lJok get's a chance to review these. I know he and the othe IEM nuts should enjoy this! Plus it would make a nice recommendation! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back