Toronto Meet March 16th PICS (WARNING: LARGE PICS INSIDE!)
Mar 18, 2003 at 9:04 AM Post #31 of 34
Z,

great review! thanks!!!

how was the Teac modified?

what music did you take to the meet?

Quote:

antness-built gilmore - It didn't suck at the meet. I don't know what was the problem when I listened to it for the first time at my place. Same source, same phones. Different AC outlet though. Dunno.

your hearing was different, with different music; you were in a different emotional state.

Mar 18, 2003 at 9:18 AM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Z,

great review! thanks!!!

how was the Teac modified?

what music did you take to the meet?

I think DAC chip in the TEAC was replaced and some other stuff was done to it. Don't exactly know what though.

I took a lot of CDs but only felt like listening to very few. I believe I only used Tori Amos/Under the Pink, Mazzy Star/Among my Swan, Fiona Apple/Tidal, Modest Mouse/Moon and Antarctica, Aimee Mann/Bachelor No. 2, and Cocteau Twins/Heaven or Las Vegas.

Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
your hearing was different, with different music; you were in a different emotional state.

No, my man. What I heard from that same amp when I listened to it for the first time a couple of months ago was unspeakable.

Mar 18, 2003 at 12:22 PM Post #33 of 34
Just a couple of things I forgot to mention.

sony mdr-f1
I actually liked this phone more than its higher-priced sibling present at the meet (CD3000). It's smooth, very comfortable, has nice bass, and is K1000-style open without the K1000 edginess (*). Occasionally I long for such sound and it could be nice to have something like that around. I'm having problems with its pricetag though. They'd be perfect in an `under $100` category, but I don't know about $180.

I only listened to them out of Melos SHA-1. You have to adjust them so that the drivers are not touching ears or the sound is a little harsh. For me optimal position was simply moving them all the way forward.

(*) By the way, AKG K1000 I listened to had some replacement cables on it but it didn't look like a Stenfan AudioArt cable so I believe it's something different. RVD said that he noticed the edginess with a different pair of K1000 (and thus with a different cable/amp) when he auditioned it, so I presume this belongs either to the driver itself or to that circuitry inside the earspeakers. Kinda makes me wonder what that circuitry is for and what could be achieved by removing/modding it.

Mar 18, 2003 at 1:46 PM Post #34 of 34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back