Top Full Size vs Top IEMs
Apr 22, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #16 of 23
speakers create a sounstage. cans create a "head stage" and sometimes they can fool you into thinking that you're hearing sounds "outside your head". i've not experienced that with earphones. haven't listened to a binaural recording but why should it work better with iems than cans?

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #17 of 23
speakers create a sounstage. cans create a "head stage" and sometimes they can fool you into thinking that you're hearing sounds "outside your head". i've not experienced that with earphones. haven't listened to a binaural recording but why should it work better with iems than cans?

I was just stating my personal experience, but it does work with full size headphones as well. The issue I can see is that the binaural head is recording sound that has already been acoustically affected by a synthetic ear. If you are using a fullsize set of headphones then that sound is subjected to the acoustics of your ear a second time. The differences may end up being too small to make a difference but I wouldn't be surprised if people find IEMs more realistic with binaural recordings

Here is a nice binaural recording if you've never heard one before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itLxXeyM2aM

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #20 of 23
the hd800, abyss, k812, ps1000 and th900 all sounded more "out of head" than my ex1000 and k3003 :wink:

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #22 of 23
sure in some instances iems could sound "bigger" than cans but don't forget that we're talking totl cans here. can't agree that iems have more timbral accuracy than cans period. surely that depends on which iems and cans you're referring to and it's a subjective claim anyways.

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #23 of 23
Even with using a home rig for iems I don't consider them the same class. They can come close in some areas but as a whole they are still a step down imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back