Top end portable DAC/amp that can drive HD800
Mar 4, 2021 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
Hi all, it's been a while since I posted here so apologies if this is the wrong forum.

What are the current options for a really good, really portable DAC/amp that can do justice to the HD800?

Mar 5, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 5
Recently acquired the hugo 2 and i was floored by how *good the hd800 sounded out of them. But then again still nothing compared to a true powerful balanced amp.

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 5
How portable should it be?

When I tested the Chord Hugo 1 versus HDVD 800 (Sennheiser their own DAC / AMP for the HD 800, I walked away with the Chord Hugo 1. So the Chord Hugo 2 will be hard to beat.

Mar 6, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 5
Recently acquired the hugo 2 and i was floored by how *good the hd800 sounded out of them. But then again still nothing compared to a true powerful balanced amp.
Thanks. The Hugo 2 looks good. Are there any portable balanced amps out there worth looking at, in your view?
100% the Moon 430HAD. Haven’t heard better.
The Moon looks like a wonderful piece, but it's not even remotely portable.

How portable should it be?

When I tested the Chord Hugo 1 versus HDVD 800 (Sennheiser their own DAC / AMP for the HD 800, I walked away with the Chord Hugo 1. So the Chord Hugo 2 will be hard to beat.
Good to know! I would say the Hugo 2 is about as large as I'd like to go for any one component. I'm open to adding a dedicated headphone amplifier. Not everything worth listening to, begins with a digital source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back