Top 10 Games of 2014
Dec 17, 2014 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HeadFiCart

New Head-Fier
I don't really have a #1 pick of my favorite game of the year, as I liked them all.  It's not as diverse a year as 2013 was and there were a few disappointments (Watch Dogs, AC Unity, Master Chief Collection) but it still was pretty good year.  Here's my list of the games that I enjoyed the most and am most interested in playing.

Far Cry 4 - Looks like a lot of fun and chaos, plus lots of gorgeous environments.

Super Smash Bros U - With so many features and characters, this is THE fighting game

DK Country: Tropical Freeze - Every bit as good as the SNES DK Country trilogy.

Bayonetta 2 - Beautiful flashy colorful action packed game.  Major improvement on the first one.

Mario Kart 8 - The best Mario Kart experience in a long while, and an all-around well-refined game.

Transistor - Great indie game ; Combines strategy and action with industrial atmosphere and sound

Sunset Overdrive - Is basically a fusion of every single game I loved as a child

Left Behind - For The Last of Us ; One of the best story-driven DLC's I've played

Dragon Age: Inquisition - Has a sense of grandiosity that none of the other DA games had ; Epic

Shadow of Mordor - Really satisfied my craving for action-adventure gaming.  Assassin's Creed: take note.

--------

What are your favorite games of the year?

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm not even sure that I played ten new games this year...definitely a far cry from my old gaming days. For new games I did play this year:

Mario Kart 8 - Definitely a good installment, but I personally don't think there's everbeen a "bad" addition to the series. If I spent more time at the Wii U, this would definitely get more play time.

Hyrule Warriors - Never played a Dynasty Warriors game before, but I am a huge Zelda fan, so I picked it up last week. It's fun, and again, if I spent more time at the Wii U...If nothing else, I think it would be a great game to pick up now and then just to have some easy fun.

Now there are two games that are genuinely "GOTY" for me (despite not playing many):

Titanfall - I haven't enjoyed a first person shooter this much in years. Respawn definitely got this game right, and as evidence of Advanced Warfare everyone else is still trying to catch up The mechanics are solid, the game is fair, the Titans are cool (but ought to take a back seat to the normal combat), and now that it's had a price cut, it's one of the best valued games out there (IMO). It could probably use a single player or coop campaign as opposed to just doing a "story competitive" mode. Still, it was make with multiplayer in mind, and it works.

Smite - I love mythology. I have not liked MOBAs, mainly because I like having control of my character's movement. BAM. Smite. Just as icing on the cake, this game has one of the fairest models I've seen to getting heroes/champions/gods. You can get all the gods without paying money, OR you can pay $30 and get every god EVER. That means that you already own gods that haven't even been developed yet! And for only $30! I will be playing this game for a long time.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 3
These might not be the "top games of 14", but they are my favorites of this year.

PS4

The Last of Us Remaster

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare

Shadow of Mordor

EA UFC

War Thunder

Worms Battlegrounds

Madden 15

PC

The Golf Club

Battlefield 4

Insurgency (My favorite shooter by far)