Todd,How much of a real "Vinyl Junkie" are you?
Apr 27, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
I am going to be picking up approximately 400+ albums from my father-in-law's collection this weekend. Any idea where I can get a nice looking record storage unit? Suitable to be placed in the family room?

The Boltz vinyl rack is not an option. The BW is barely tolerating my Boltz CD rack.

Try the Ikea Bonde bookcases. They are good looking and cheap. They will hold up despite the seemingly cheesy construction and are deep and wide enough to hold a bunch of records.

I'm sure Todd's are built 100 times better but these do find good acceptance with the spousal unit and hold about 600 records. I have about 450 on that one it that pick.

site1011.JPG

Apr 27, 2004 at 2:13 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd
Hi JMT,

Sounds like way too much fun - 400 albums to look through, clean, play and file. I have some very nice, stackable record crates that should be here soon. I will try to take a picture of the crates I have here from the first batch that I couldn't bring myself to sell. I used the first 15 crates to organise most of my collection but I am getting more soon. They will be selling for $75 a crate. They are hand crafted by my brother from Silver Maple. Let me know if you are interested... each crate holds between 100 and 125 albums.

Todd

Those sound interesting Todd, I'll look forward to the pictures. I am looking foward to this with mixed emotions. My in-laws are moving to a smaller place in Arizona because my father-in-law's back went out on him a while ago and he had surgery to repair some nerve damage. The operation actually made things worse, so now he cannot do the yard/pool maintenence in their current home. He has spent a lot of his retirement going to used bookstores when they travel and buying used vinyl, amassing a collection of over 1100 albums. The new home they are moving into is much smaller, so he has no room for his collection.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Try the Ikea Bonde bookcases. They are good looking and cheap. They will hold up despite the seemingly cheesy construction and are deep and wide enough to hold a bunch of records

Ikea's website doesn't show that series, and the nearest Ikea store is about 100 miles away. That type of bookcase is about what I am looking for though. However the space that I need it to fit is only about 32" high by about 10 feet long. So I need it longer rather than taller.

Apr 27, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
Those sound interesting Todd, I'll look forward to the pictures. I am looking foward to this with mixed emotions. My in-laws are moving to a smaller place in Arizona because my father-in-law's back went out on him a while ago and he had surgery to repair some nerve damage. The operation actually made things worse, so now he cannot do the yard/pool maintenence in their current home. He has spent a lot of his retirement going to used bookstores when they travel and buying used vinyl, amassing a collection of over 1100 albums. The new home they are moving into is much smaller, so he has no room for his collection.
Ikea's website doesn't show that series, and the nearest Ikea store is about 100 miles away. That type of bookcase is about what I am looking for though. However the space that I need it to fit is only about 32" high by about 10 feet long. So I need it longer rather than taller.

Jon,

It's on the site,you have to input the search term and it will come up. There are many different configurations and I have one that is about 30" high and 4 feet wide in my bedroom.

Jul 8, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #34 of 41
Here's one - spending 100 bucks on vinyl you can't play. Yep in a pawn shop in Delaware I found a copy of The Jazz Scene. The cover was weathered, but all the classic pictures and artwork and vinyl inside was pristine. But I still have yet to play it, because apparently it only plays on Victrolas or something. Curse my modern turntable! I've been staring at The Jazz Scene sitting on my shelf for about eight years going now...yep Verve reissued the whole thing on CD and modern vinyl a few years ago, but i refuse to listen to it, Norman Granz wouldn't want it that way I'm sure.

Here's a link to this vinyl - i think the actual link is to the reissued one.

http://www.jazzmanrecords.com/norgranjazsc.html

Jul 9, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Here's one - spending 100 bucks on vinyl you can't play. Yep in a pawn shop in Delaware I found a copy of The Jazz Scene. The cover was weathered, but all the classic pictures and artwork and vinyl inside was pristine. But I still have yet to play it, because apparently it only plays on Victrolas or something. Curse my modern turntable! I've been staring at The Jazz Scene sitting on my shelf for about eight years going now...yep Verve reissued the whole thing on CD and modern vinyl a few years ago, but i refuse to listen to it, Norman Granz wouldn't want it that way I'm sure.

Here's a link to this vinyl - i think the actual link is to the reissued one.

http://www.jazzmanrecords.com/norgranjazsc.html

You,my friend,have a sickness. You are indeed a vinyl junkie.

Jul 9, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #36 of 41
Yes! I'm on Team Junkie!

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #37 of 41
Hi Jahn,

Welcome to team junkie. It will cost you a 10 album yearly fee payable to TTVJ (this is a joke and probably in poor taste ...) . I hope we can shop for records sometime. SOON!!!

Jul 9, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd
Welcome to team junkie. It will cost you a 10 album yearly fee payable to TTVJ (this is a joke and probably in poor taste ...) . I hope we can shop for records sometime. SOON!!!

I wanna join but 10 albums a year is too steep.

Wait, I do have some old Monkees, The Partridge Family, and Bobby Sherman. They're on the way...when do I get my Team Junkie I.D. card?

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #39 of 41
Oh yeah! By the way, Bleeker Bob's is my store of choice here in NYC - but the addition of CDs there is sacreligious!

As for the 10 albums i would pay...hmm...

1)Seal, The Beginning. Yes, I bought 2 by mistake. The mistake was buying the first. Heck, take both - 1&2!

3)Have a Very Elvis Christmas. Don't ask.

4)Have a Very Droid Christmas. DON'T ASK.

5-8)My sister's entire Bananarama/WHAM collection. Just because they're vinyl doesn't mean I want em, sis!

9)New Order, Republic, slightly melted. Yes I still try to play it and have fun watching the needle ride the waves - up and down, up and down...

10)Schoolhouse Rock. Hmm. On the other hand, I'll keep it and give you the Spoken word Sountrack to Winnie the Pooh's Blustery Day instead.

Jul 24, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #40 of 41
Hello, my name is Greg and I am a reformed Vinyl junkie.

I admit that I used to buy pristine direct to disk pressings while I was a starving student. I used to squeeze my entire food budget for the week so that I could buy a new Telarc or Sheffield pressing. I would clean myself, clean the album, clean the stylus, apply stylus lube, close the cover, flip the cue lever, ramp the volume above zero ONLY when the stylus was seated and the tonearm was stable, and run to my seat, and listen until either 1) I heard a pop, at which time I would leap from my seat and repeat the whole procedure, or 2) Side A was done, at which point I would leap from my seat, turn the volume down, flip the album, and repeat the whole procedure.

I admit that I would connect an oscilloscope to check if the right and left signals were in balance, and adjust the tracking force and anti skate accordingly.

I admit that I have held hundreds of vinyl pressings up to the sunlight to check the quality of the vinyl used, and the dynamic range allowed in the grooves.

I admit that I would rotate my entire (small) collection weekly to avoid the dreaded warp.

I admit that I would unwarp lost case records in the sun between two pieces of glass. I also admit that I deliberately warped a particular disco album at a 90 degree angle, and then threw it into the woods.

I have been vinyl free for 15 years now. I feel a sense of freedom, but there is still the curiosity, and the sense of something missing.......

btw, hello Todd and Fred!

gerG

Jul 24, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
Hello, my name is Greg and I am a reformed Vinyl junkie.

I admit that I used to buy pristine direct to disk pressings while I was a starving student. I used to squeeze my entire food budget for the week so that I could buy a new Telarc or Sheffield pressing. I would clean myself, clean the album, clean the stylus, apply stylus lube, close the cover, flip the cue lever, ramp the volume above zero ONLY when the stylus was seated and the tonearm was stable, and run to my seat, and listen until either 1) I heard a pop, at which time I would leap from my seat and repeat the whole procedure, or 2) Side A was done, at which point I would leap from my seat, turn the volume down, flip the album, and repeat the whole procedure.

I admit that I would connect an oscilloscope to check if the right and left signals were in balance, and adjust the tracking force and anti skate accordingly.

I admit that I have held hundreds of vinyl pressings up to the sunlight to check the quality of the vinyl used, and the dynamic range allowed in the grooves.

I admit that I would rotate my entire (small) collection weekly to avoid the dreaded warp.

I admit that I would unwarp lost case records in the sun between two pieces of glass. I also admit that I deliberately warped a particular disco album at a 90 degree angle, and then threw it into the woods.

I have been vinyl free for 15 years now. I feel a sense of freedom, but there is still the curiosity, and the sense of something missing.......

btw, hello Todd and Fred!

gerG

I am sooooo not worthy.

But I am learning.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back