To the IDM/electronica fans out there
Dec 13, 2002 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
Have any of you had a chance to listen to Digitonal's "23 Things Fall Apart"? (on Toytronic)

I've really been getting tired of the majority of IDM these days (other than "the masters," that is) ... but I have to say this is absolutely one of the best things I've ever heard. It's a new British act featuring one guy performing the electronics + another playing real, live strings (no samples!). It sounds absolutely incredible.

The press release says "for those of you with Autechre and Plaid next to Arvö Part and Philip Glass in your CD rack" ... couldn't have come up with a better description myself!

I honestly haven't enjoyed many IDM CDs like this for a while. Except for Apparat's "Tttrial and Eror" (beautiful saxophone samples).

Also, for those of you interested, Autechre's new album is due out April 7 - and reportedly is a helluva lot less cerebral/abstract and pays homage to their electro/hiphop roots. Of course, this information may prove to be completely wrong. Grain of salt intended.

- Chris

Dec 13, 2002 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 9
I'm all over that. Wish you were my holiday CD exchange partner
biggrin.gif

Oh, and if you are into the IDM scene, come check out and participate at my forum (link in my sig.). It is pretty limited right now, so I could really use some help in encouraging discussion. It is based on a software program called max/msp that allows for some incredible real-time electronic performances. i think getting a few more people to even just discuss in my general music section might inspire some of the more experienced max/msp users to come out and chime in. and the experienced max/msp guys are the ones who are doing some pretty groundbreaking things in electronic music and performance.

Dec 14, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 9
For any fans of the detriot techno sound, the release from Theorem, "THX - Experiments in Synchronicity" is really tight. Theorem is on Plastikman's label.

Also: Plastikman has a bunch of hi-quality mixes in MP3 format free for download. at the m-nus website.

Dec 14, 2002 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Just came across a band called "Cinematic Orchestra" which is featured on the Rhapsody music service. Live acid jazz sensibilities but with a DJ at the helm. Very cool.

I really like the Cinemtaic Orchestra. Definitely check out the album 'motion'. They definitely go into my heading of dark IDM jazz.

Dec 18, 2002 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 9
Where did you hear about a new Ae album? Is that april 2003? Gantz Graf just came out, and then they went on tour... so I hope it isn't some remix collection or a bunch of tracks they dusted off from five years ago, a la aphex twin. Oh who am i kidding, I'll buy it anyway.

Dec 18, 2002 at 8:26 AM Post #9 of 9
My bad, says it right on the warp frontpage.

"Autechre will release their seventh album on 7 April 2003.

It's called 'Draft 7.30'. Tracklisting TBC. "

direct quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back