to MDLP or not? that is the question...
Dec 6, 2002 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok guys--- I'm down to either getting a newer MD recorder that has the MDLP function, and paying almost $300 for it, or sticking with the non-MDLP equipment that I have and just going for a really good non-MDLP player and something like the Ety ER6's (so as to save wear and tear on the recorder unit).

About the only thing I would use the MDLP function for would be LP2, and that would be just to squeeze longer spoken word stuff onto one disc, and I could use Mono mode for that and be just as happy.

So is $145 shipped for a brand spankin' new in-the-box MZ-E90 a good deal? And how many people here use the ER6's with MD gear? Can the md players provide enough juice without an amp?

thanks!
Josh
aka
appar111

Dec 6, 2002 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 12
If you're not too picky, LP4 handles spoken word brilliantly, but if you don't mind mono at all, I'd say you have no real need for LP2/4.
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 12
LP2 is amazingly good. I initially thought I'd never use that mode, but, for transferring double CD's and box sets to MD, it's perfect. I can only really hear a deficiency verses SP when I'm using my ER-4P's, but with my other cans, everything is OK.

BTW, what is your "older" recorder do you presently own? The MZ-E90 is a MD player, and is strictly for SP recordings. You cannot play MDLP recordings on an SP-only unit. I just wanted that clarified before you wasted your money......
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 12
I'm sorry, I should have clarified. I'm either going to stick with SP only and get something like an E90 to complement my other SP equipment (R50 and R55), or go with something that has MDLP capabilities like a 909, 910, N1 or N10.

If I stick with SP stuff and get an E90 I'll have enough dough left over for another set of cans...

Dec 7, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #5 of 12
Well, I never use MDLP, but that's only for backwards compatibility, and because 148 mins is too long for a mix. Heh, my latest MD addition is the 1998 model MDS-PC1.
biggrin.gif

You said in your other thread you're selling off those old recorders? If so, then I would definately recommend a couple of recorders to you. Namely, Sony MZ-R909, R910, or Sharp's MD-DR7. I don't think you'll be impressed with NetMD, although if you REALLY want it, theres the Sharp IM-MT880, Sony MZ-N1(0).

Dec 7, 2002 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 12
I've been wondering, do you get better software with the Sharp NetMD recorder? I have a Sony MZ-N707 and the NetMD feature is terrible. Simple Burner is considerably better but I didn't buy it to dub CD's!!!!

Dec 9, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 12
I really like using MDLP and find it's nice to have 2.5 hours of music on one disc. I can carry one disc around in the player for a couple of days before I switch to something else.

The one other thing I love about my new portable is the NetMD function. I didn't use it for the first month I had the unit as I was recording everything on my home deck, but since I already have 1,000 songs on my computer it made sense to at least try out the function.

Very convenient and I highly recommend it. I don't use OpenMG however, I use the RealOne software and it's just like burning a CD.

Dec 10, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
I've been wondering, do you get better software with the Sharp NetMD recorder? I have a Sony MZ-N707 and the NetMD feature is terrible. Simple Burner is considerably better but I didn't buy it to dub CD's!!!!

OpenMG in a different skin. I think you need to improve your NetMD experience - look here

Dec 11, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 12
I wouldn't go MDLP. For spoken word, I use mono, and that's enough for me. Personally, I could hear the difference on a sony r700, and if it was MDLP or a new set of headphones, I know what I would pick.

Dec 11, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 12
I use all four modes for different types of recordings.

But I recetly learned, as discussed on another thread, a big drawback to MDLP: It's really hard to get a deck with MDLP and digital out in the U.S., at least not without spending a lot of money. You might want to consider that if you're going to want to go from MD>CD

Dec 11, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
I use all four modes for different types of recordings.

But I recetly learned, as discussed on another thread, a big drawback to MDLP: It's really hard to get a deck with MDLP and digital out in the U.S., at least not without spending a lot of money. You might want to consider that if you're going to want to go from MD>CD

I have a deck that has MDLP and an optical out. Although, the optical out has never functioned...maybe that's why i paid only $200 from Sonystyle.

redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back