time to upgrade...
Sep 8, 2008 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ir0n_ma1den

New Head-Fier
...from some $12 sony in ear buds, haha.

So,

I have up to $100 to spend and would consider raising my limit if it is really worth it.

I want a really overall full,fat sound and the ability to knock out a good amount of outside noise.

I hope I am not expecting to much, but I probably am :/

Also,

if i chose to go the over-ear headphone route, how do the Sennheiser HD 280pro's sound?

thanks

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 8
If you are looking towards closed headphones around $100, the hd280s would be great. And compared to $12 sony ear buds I think you would be very very happy. Another closed-phone option in that range is the equation rp21. I've owned both hd280 and rp21 and loved them. The rp21 had a pleasantly better treble but the hd280 isolated better.

There are many iem options but I am not as in tune with those.

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm pretty sure I will go the in-ear route because I would be using these with an ipod so i'd be mobile most of the time. If I was just at home then I would probably take the cans.

how are the Shure e3c's?

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 8
RE: Canalphones/IEMs, $105 will get you the excellent Denon AH-C751s on Amazon.com. That's hard to beat, for the price.

RE: HD280. The reviews on these are very mixed. Some people love them, others hate them. So, don't buy if you can't try.

For $100, it's hard to go wrong with the Denon D1001s if you're looking for closed cans. However, these won't do the trick for outdoor use. The sub-$100 sealed portables category isn't very good, I'm afraid. I like my AKG K26Ps, but others don't. And I really only like them when I'm outdoors, so they're not the best "all-rounder" cans.

I say, go for the Denon C751s. There's a lot written on these here on Head-Fi. Read up and decide before the price goes up.

Sep 8, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE: Canalphones/IEMs, $105 will get you the excellent Denon AH-C751s on Amazon.com. That's hard to beat, for the price. .

I looked at the reviews and here and amazon and they match up. Haha, one of the reviews was written by someone from Headfi.

Anyways,

how do these compare to the Shure e3c's?

I have also seen a few other IEM's that have been getting good reviews on Amazon:
V-MODA Vibe Earbuds
Shure SE210-K
Shure E3c-n
Audio-Technica ATH-CK7
Ultimate Ears super.fi 3
Yuin Pk2
Ultimate Ears IP-P4SSA0001-02 Super.fi 4
Shure SCL3

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 8
I ordered a pair of Denon AH-C751s for $104 on amazon
smily_headphones1.gif

I was considering the Shures but after reading this thread i knew Denon was the way to go.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 8
The 751s v e3c? I'd say the e3cs are more comparable to the Denon 551s, which are one step down from the 751s.

Head-Fiers don't like the Vibes much, it seems. Not sure why, though.
The Shure 210s are probably the worst of the new Shure line, in the sense that they're the least worth it. (Warning: I never warmed up to the Shure sound. So anything I say about the Shures should be taken with more salt.)
UEs are kind of touch and go. They're oddly inconsistent. I don't think the 3s can compare to the 751s. Again, they're more comparable to the 551s. Don't know much about the 4s. People here seem to like the 5s. But I've seen 551s compared favourably against even these.
Everyone loves Yuin. There's a huge thread somewhere around here comparing the different Yuin cans. Check that out.

So, conclusion: I think the 751s are still the way to go, at the price. The Vibes, 210s, e3cs, and UE 3s aren't better. I don't know much about the UE 4s, CK7s and Shure SCL3s. People here like Yuin, but I'm not sure what they think about the PK2s in particular, esp. compared to 751.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 8
Hehe, I can't wait for my Denons!

Thank you very much jonathanjong and compuryan for helping me make a good decision
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I will be blown away by the Denons since the best headphones i've ever used were my $12 sonys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back