Time for a new DAC - PS Audio PWD
Jun 3, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #16 of 23
I'm very happy with the PWD. It's Native mode is very natural sounding. I still haven't gotten the measure of the different filter modes, but that will come in time. Musical is the way I'd describe the PWD.

I've also recovered from my hospital stay, and my Gout flare up looks to be passing (Fingers crossed) tomorrow or the next day I hope to be Gout (Pain) free

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #17 of 23

I'm very happy with the PWD. It's Native mode is very natural sounding. I still haven't gotten the measure of the different filter modes, but that will come in time. Musical is the way I'd describe the PWD.

I've also recovered from my hospital stay, and my Gout flare up looks to be passing (Fingers crossed) tomorrow or the next day I hope to be Gout (Pain) free

I HATE GOUT. love the PWD...

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #18 of 23
This Gout flareup has been going for four weeks. I think its severity and duration have been exasperated by how my GI bleed screwed up my metabolism. While in the Hospital I was transfused with 12 units of plasma and 9 units of Red Blood cells.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #19 of 23
GI bleed and gout!  Not a result of medication, by any chance?
Glad to hear you are better.
I'm not sure about the Exemplar modifications, to be honest.  How is the PWD?  Does it compare, and which do you prefer?

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #20 of 23
Probably all those blood donors did not know to not eat red meat and drink red wine before giving blood.  Grats on getting better Yikes.  And grats on your DAC.

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #21 of 23
Thanks, slowly getting better. gout is a major bitch.

I'm really digging the PWD, but I haven't gotten around to comparing it to my Exemplar Audio XD-1 ($2500 Retail). I can tell you from experience that John Tucker (Exemplar Audio) is one of, if not the best designers out there. He is a real engineer, not just playing one on TV. I've had him do custom work for me (He turned a Antique Sound Labs OTL/32 from a so-so $700 amp into a serious contender in the price no object performance level) and I use to own one of his 3910 players (wonderful) and I still own and use his Exemplar Music Server, and SACD-3000 Player. I haven't compared the XD-1 to the PWD as of yet, but I'm expecting it to be different flavors as opposed to one being outright better. It's just that the PWD offers features that the XD-1 doesn't. I'm expecting the XD-1 to take up position of pride in my Bedroom Headphone/Speaker rig.

Oh... and I'm currently waiting for Exemplar to modify my Oppo BDP-83SE. John, better than anyone else out there really knows how to massage a circuit. If he has the time, and I have the money I am considering sending him my PWD, but such custom work takes serious time and money, at least one of which I don't have enough of
wink_face.gif

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #22 of 23
Thanks!  Fingers still crossed for the Exemplar to outperform the PWD.  Why?  Simple validation of my purchase, and avoiding the terrible upgraditis!  Can't wait to hear your comparison of the two. 

Being in New Zealand, I haven't had much of a chance to listen to many products modified by John Tucker.  I do have a pair of LSA-1 speakers though, which I think John was involved in.  A very nice pair of speakers, though I'm having some problems with my room.

I bet the Oppo mod will be great.  I'm not sure it'll be better than the XD-1, though it'll probably be a very good multichannel device.  I'd hate to imagine how good a modified PWD would be!

Jun 18, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #23 of 23

Quote:
Thanks!  Fingers still crossed for the Exemplar to outperform the PWD.  Why?  Simple validation of my purchase, and avoiding the terrible upgraditis!  Can't wait to hear your comparison of the two. 

Being in New Zealand, I haven't had much of a chance to listen to many products modified by John Tucker.  I do have a pair of LSA-1 speakers though, which I think John was involved in.  A very nice pair of speakers, though I'm having some problems with my room.

I bet the Oppo mod will be great.  I'm not sure it'll be better than the XD-1, though it'll probably be a very good multichannel device.  I'd hate to imagine how good a modified PWD would be!

As with all of John Tuckers previous Modifications he does extensive Power Supply work, and work on the Stereo DAC circuit, and of course the Stereo Output stage, but to my knowledge he does not massage the multi-channel output. I'm fairly sure that my Exemplar BDP-83SE (Complete with Siltech Power Supply and output wiring) will  have some minor improvement in multi-channel (Due to the power supply work), but where I expect it to be absolutely world class is in it's Stereo Analog output.

The Exemplar BDP-83SE is primarily for SACD's and DVD-Audio that won't integrate with my PWD/Bridge Computer based library, so the BDP-83SE and PWD are not actually in competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back