TI r0xx0rs
Jul 22, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #31 of 32
Hello,

I guess, aos is right. TI should shut down almost anonymous sampling policy. It is getting ridiculous how many people abuse the policy. It used to be only handful of people. Now more than half of our community depends on the abuse of the policy.

Whatever the case, TI probably will probably continue with the policy. Money loss in sampling should be minor compared to potential gains anyways. But then, I mean, how much chips can be? I can grab a handful for like 20 bucks! You aren't buying 300B triodes here. Pay about 100 USD and you will probably never ran out of chips for a decade!

There are chips that cost tons like 20 a pop. Then I get like few and keep on reuse them to test new designs. If I like, I can make one or two kicking amp, I will be content with that. Besides, even then that is better than 300B which run about 70~100 a pop. Abusing company policy for couple lunch money is rather ridiculous. You are being stingy, not thrifty. I mean I wouldn't feel any better by saving couple lunch money.

Personally, it is OK once in a while, but if you abuse the policy too many times, TI will inevitably close its doors for not only us but some ppl who have whole right to be taking advantage of the policy like real researchers. It's a goodie-goodie thing to do, yes. But then if I were a researcher I would be very pissed considering how the cost may cut into my own pay. [shrug, but I ain't one]

People spend loads on caps lately. Cut back on that and spend couple lunch money on chips. No biggie. It works with me.

Tomo

P.S. I only used about couple handful of solid state devices in last few years. I mostly spend time debugging and tweeking designs and don't need for large quantities of chips. I have lots of passive components though. (I do go thrifty on those.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back