Through ITunes, playing a CD sounds better than Apple Lossless on my comp.
Jan 5, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #16 of 30
I've been experimenting a lot with iTunes, and as of today, I have to conclude that iTunes player itself has some "issues." It's not really apple lossless that's problematic, b/c when I make a .wav file off of apple lossless file and play that .wav on Foobar, these "issues" seem to be resolved.

Apple lossless played in iTunes(set up for straight-through) vs. .wav(from the same apple lossless file) played in Foobar sound VERY different.

The CD played in CDR drive in foobar sounds basically same as .wav in foobar.
Apple lossless in itunes sounds different from CD played in foobar.

Don't ask me to explain why, b/c I don't know.

Jan 5, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
I've been experimenting a lot with iTunes, and as of today, I have to conclude that iTunes player itself has some "issues." It's not really apple lossless that's problematic, b/c when I make a .wav file off of apple lossless file and play that .wav on Foobar, these "issues" seem to be resolved.

Apple lossless played in iTunes(set up for straight-through) vs. .wav(from the same apple lossless file) played in Foobar sound VERY different.

That's the thing about Apple products, they sure do look good but... (dcnphones disappears never to be seen again)

Jan 5, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L

looks like you did the test for me. but argh i dont wanna make a whole new library in foobar! i tried making a menu once and it took forever in there! plus all those parameters made my head spin!

Jan 5, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #19 of 30
Are you saying itunes is fubared and foobar2000 isn't?
tongue.gif

I could install itunes and see for myself but i don't really want to.

Jan 5, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Are you saying itunes is fubared and foobar2000 isn't?
tongue.gif

I could install itunes and see for myself but i don't really want to.

itunes isn't a virus. dooooit!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #22 of 30
I remember posting this exact same observation when I first got into this hobby last June. I am on an iBook and not a PC, however. When I turned the sound enhancer and all the effects off from iTunes, that seemed to fix the problem as I recall. I also added an amp and a Piccolo DAC which actually made iTunes sound slightly better than the CD. From from your sig, you have some decent equipment, so that isn't going to be an issue.

I don't know a whole lot about PC's, but could there be some settings in basic audio files that could be affecting the sound quality that aren't player specific? It appears to me that there are so many more ways you can control setting on a PC outside of iTunes.

Does iTunes on a PC use additional programs? are they up to date? I ask all this because I had some problems a month or two back with a sound card through iTunes and I was all ready to blame iTunes, but it turned out to be something bazaar and unrelated to the program. I ended up messing with ASIO settings which fixed the problem.

Sorry, my post is rather random and may not make sense. I just don't think iTunes has that much to it that can control actual quality of sound when you have the enhancer turned off. It is probably a supporting program or settings issue.

dshea

Jan 6, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
"Sound check" ONLY affects volume during playback, nothing else. I wouldn't use iTunes without it.

hold on so i SHOULD use it or i shouldnt? because i turned it off yesterday and boom i got some volume going on. of course now my patchmix is showing the volume is clipping the signal, but i can't hear any clipping. ARGH i hate computers!

Jan 6, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #24 of 30
I do not use it myself. One more thing the computer is doing to alter playback. Try taking it off. Have nothing selected except error correction during importing. Everything else should be off. I think once you go through and get all of these filters and features shut off you will hear an improvement in your Lossless.

dshea

Jan 6, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #25 of 30
i should have error correction on when importing? i took it off!

Jan 6, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i should have error correction on when importing? i took it off!

Everything you've ever done with a computer has been wrong.

Comfortingly yours,

Spanky

Jan 6, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo

Comfortingly yours,

Spanky

DAMMIT I KNEW IT!
eek.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 11:53 PM Post #28 of 30
1. Error correction is only used during CD importing. Error correction shouldn't be needed unless you have bad CD's. I guess having it on can't hurt, although it will slow down the import.

2. Sound check adjusts volume and nothing else. It analyses the volume of the track and plays them louder or softer so that volume from track to track is more consistent, since CD's are recorded at all sorts of volumes. It doesn't alter the file at all. If you get info on a track you'll see, as an example, "Volume: +3.1 dB" which means that this track is being played louder with Sound Check on. I always have Sound Check turned on because I play thousands of tracks on random and I find the differences in volume too noticeable.

3. Sound Enhancer DOES change how tracks sound. I don't really know what it does, but I leave it turned off.

Jan 7, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo

Comfortingly yours,

Spanky

If that ain't the story of my life
blink.gif

And as far as the sound enhancer, yeah, it's jank unless you have lousy headphones, and want to quickly and artificially sweeten up the mids. I think it also ruins any soundstage I get, wanting to just throw all the sound at your ear faster. It has it's place, but not with nice cans

Jan 7, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
1. Error correction is only used during CD importing. Error correction shouldn't be needed unless you have bad CD's. I guess having it on can't hurt, although it will slow down the import.

2. Sound check adjusts volume and nothing else. It analyses the volume of the track and plays them louder or softer so that volume from track to track is more consistent, since CD's are recorded at all sorts of volumes. It doesn't alter the file at all. If you get info on a track you'll see, as an example, "Volume: +3.1 dB" which means that this track is being played louder with Sound Check on. I always have Sound Check turned on because I play thousands of tracks on random and I find the differences in volume too noticeable.

3. Sound Enhancer DOES change how tracks sound. I don't really know what it does, but I leave it turned off.

Thanks, Mark (your avatar is Mark, that is!) I have all the junk off - sound check, audio enhancer, etc etc - i put error correction on for slow rips in the future, and i think i'm good! man music sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back