Thread for a set of new "Recommendation" Forums.
Jun 12, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #63 of 68
I really think there needs to be a forum for recommendations.  This whole website is getting ruined by a constant bombardment of the same questions over and over again, there are barely any threads anymore that aren't recommendation threads, and most of the rest of the threads are created by newcomers.  Most of the experienced, interesting people have long ago left head-fi because of this, and more will continue to leave as there is less and less interesting discussion happening.  Just look at the quality of the reviews, they have gotten shorter and shorter as the experience level of the reviewers declines. 

It's not that recommendation threads are bad, they are great, and it's great to bring new people into the world of hifi headphones.  But is that all head-fi is to be?  Just a place for inexperienced people to talk together?  That's not even good for the newcomers because it means they get recommendations that are not based on experience, something I see happening more and more.  Recently someone was bewildered when I said we had to figure out what an OP thought was wrong with the headphones he didn't like before recommending a replacement, he was happy just recommending whatever.  This is increasingly common. 

Do we not want head-fi to be a place that is conducive to old time members sticking around?  Shouldn't the forums be more oriented around the members who are already here, and not JUST devoted to attracting new members? 

The worry people have about creating a recommendation forum is that old time members won't go there.  But the whole forum is turning into nothing but a recommendation forum, and most of the old guys just avoid the entire site.  So that worry has for the most part already happened.  It would be best for everyone to make a place on head-fi that was just about discussion of headphones. 

Quote:
Seems like a solid idea [recommendation forum].  Implementation of stickies in conjunction with this would also be of help.  At the top of each recommendation forum, it may be of utility to sticky some shootout or comparison threads, or create a stickied thread with headphone comparisons/suggestions that relate to commonly-seen requests (i.e. a stickied thread for entry-level bassy headphones, or a thread for electronica, etc.).  This would also minimize the problem of mucking up the newly-created forum with "duplicate" new posts.

This is a great idea.  At the top of the recommendation forum, or at the top of each recommendation forum, there could be an expandable or clickable sub-forum with common recommendations.  And in these stickied sub-forums, there could be a minimum post count to participate, say 300 posts or something or 1 year on head-fi.  That way it would just be people who have been around awhile, no questions or people recommending the only headphone they've ever owned ie "I like my M50's".  People with less posts simply wouldn't contribute to the stickies and would be welcome in the newer threads or the rest of head-fi. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #64 of 68
I just want SOMETHING to happen, I feel like ANY action to cut down on the ridiculous numbers of recommendation and simple help threads would be awesome.

Jun 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #65 of 68

Quote:
I just want SOMETHING to happen, I feel like ANY action to cut down on the ridiculous numbers of recommendation and simple help threads would be awesome.

+1

The 'full size' forums are flooded

PS: maybe a concensus of our part not to reply to recommendations threads outside the recommendation thred? and direct them there still? not sure if it will cease the creation of new threads but maybe

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #66 of 68
I think I'll throw in my vote here as well. A "Recommendations" forum is a great idea and all the tech and computer forums that I also visit have it. This way, the serious discussions, comparisons and reviews can remain in one forum and all the "What can I get for $200" threads can get their own forum. As others have already stated, things as they are are a little out of control.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #67 of 68
I think its time to renew the call for a recommendation sub-forum as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back