Thousands of 12" LP's and 45's need advice.
Apr 8, 2010 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

markjohnsonii

Head-Fier
I have thousands of records, 12" LP's, 45's etc. from the 60's, 70's, 80's, and I have no idea how much they are worth or how to sell them as a lot... There are TONS of records, huge artists, special ed. records, etc. My uncle collected them over the years. I also have old film players (guessing 50's and 60's ish).

Anyone know an expert I could pay a fee to assess the collection for value or potentially find a buyer for this amazing collection?

Thanks~

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 8
pick out the ones you like. You can check ebay for prices, but dirty records with no quality checking go for 1-3 bucks. A clean record with no scratches can go for $10 or so if the buyer is interested. If you are not interested in really putting time in inspecting, and cataloging, then you are better off selling to a dealer who will do that to upgrade the price per record.

Without some quality concerns, and no indexing etc, you are going to get $1 a record, and possibly not that.

Now if you want to run a small business cleaning, catagorizing and selling on ebay or GEMM, you could potentially make some coin. All in what you want to put into it, and your interest level. You certainly should be able to find some kind of vinyl seller that will buy the lot at some kind of price, if you don't want to mess with it.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm going to assume that your uncle passed away. My condolences. If he hasn't get him to help you sort out whats worth what. If he has and you're clueless, you either have to put in a LOT of work for a possibly good return, or no work for very little return.

I cannot advise on an expert service. Any such experts would be looking to buy cheap and sell high or buy cheap and keep I should imagine.

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 8
These guys might be able to help you out:

welcome to 525 records ! charleston, sc

I guess it depends what kind of music it is. They may have the knowledge and wherewithall to get rid of it even if they are into indie rock and punk.

Edit: It looks like Charleston has a happening vinyl scene. This looks even better:

Monster Music and Movies
http://www.myspace.com/monstermusicandmovies

Look at the post on this page that says "Just bought 5000 uses records"

and Record Store Day is coming up April 17. I'd say give these guys a call first thing in the morning if you're looking to sell it as a lot.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 8
Thank you all so much for giving me advice... I will catalog all of these, index them and go about looking into who would potentially be a buyer for all of this. How should I Catalog them? What specs/stats are important? Organize them by last name or Band name? Should I record condition? What else is relevant data concerning the records and covers?

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by markjohnsonii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you all so much for giving me advice... I will catalog all of these, index them and go about looking into who would potentially be a buyer for all of this. How should I Catalog them? What specs/stats are important? Organize them by last name or Band name? Should I record condition? What else is relevant data concerning the records and covers?

Apart from obvious artist, album info, label and year and whatnot,
it is important to state the condition of the record; the vinyl itself, scratches, the round label, and if possibly actually hear the record and check for scratches and overall noise; the paper or plastic sleeve(missing, thorn) and the cover(corners, colors, thorn, etc)

Check ebay record stores, they all have some similar method for stating all the above and it's quite easy to understand.

If you are planning on setting up a sale on these, let us know first!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 8
Done, I will be cataloging them this weekend, and will post a link to the pdf for all to ponder. Thanks so much for the help everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back