This may be a heretical question, but here goes
Sep 27, 2005 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jc_tardiff

New Head-Fier
It seems that every time I take the time to listen to my vinyl (virtually all is 25-20 years old) I am stunned by the aural quality and tone. What usually happens is that I re-start my seemingly endless vinyl archiving project ---and get sidetracked by how great it sounds and subsequently depressed when I try to get a decent digital version ..and so it goes. Of course, having grown up listening to my father's beautiful McIntosh system (and can still remember my mother's freakout back in the 60's when she saw the price tag).

My "upstairs" setup is not great by any means, but is what I could afford at the time, A Pro-ject 1.2 teamed with a Grado Red hooked into a pretty ancient Harman Karden receiver. This is usually piped into the M-Audio 2496 PCI card on the G5 for recording purposes. Unfortunately the "downstairs" setup has the better amp/speakers, but the sad turntable (HK T55C
rolleyes.gif
). But since I spend most of my time upstairs, I'm not ready to switch them out
tongue.gif

In any case (goodness talking about this stuff makes me ramble), I have become re-invigorated by my most recent listening session and the fact that my son is becoming an accomplished jazz trumpet player... I am convinced that he needs to hear his heroes on vinyl.

Still with the ever-present financial constraints, but have recently invested in :

1. pair of Senn HD580s
2. a pretty complete manual washing set with an allsop + extra pads, Buggtussel Vinyl Zyme, RRL solution and an Audioquest brush

and I have hooked up a pair of NHTs upstairs.

I would *love* to invest in the Grado PH-1, but it's going to take awhile to convince my other half, it will probably be my next purchase.

So, finally my question (whew). I travel a fair bit and carry the following gear: a pair of ER6s + iPod + sik din + Headroom Airhead [just bought a Micro Amp to replace it
biggrin.gif
]). The combo of this gear with my new HD580s should sound pretty good. I would assume that many of you have fiddled with the non-trivial issue of transferring vinyl to digital and I know that I will not get the *same* sound, but I want to come as close as possible. Actually, any suggestions for how to "meld" my two setups to best effect would be great.

In any case, can anyone share their optimal vinyl to digital approach and settings? My input card (the M-Audio) is quite decent for what it is.

I appreciate your patience (to wade through this) and any advice/suggestions.

Thanks!

JT

Sep 29, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 5
PM JaZZ. He's done a bit of Anoalog>Digital IIRC.
CPW

Sep 30, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #5 of 5
I'll definitely PM Jazz, I don't mind figuring this out empirically, but a good starting point would be great.

Oh my, you guys, both the xr-2 and the Tascam are beauts, but I would find myself in the serious doghouse around here. Although, I did just score my husband a wonderful opera vinyl collection off craigslist ... hmmmm, a little leverage perhaps
biggrin.gif

JT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back