Thinking of going vinyl all the way!
Feb 13, 2006 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

megawzrd

500+ Head-Fier
I have been incredibly impressed with my grado red cartridge I purchased for my stanton str8-100 turntable. All my vinyl has been given new life. I realized how much better vinyl can be vs. cd. I picked up pink floyd - darkside of the moon and was in complete awe.
basshead.gif

Then a couple of days ago as I was thinking about how I could record from my vinyl collection, thinking about getting a stereo 1/4 to 1/4 to go to my firewire solo recording interface to my computer and wondering how that would sound. In the past I would go directly to my computer (older system)when I was messing around with scratching.

Then I realized I had a spdif output from my turntable and spdif input on my fire solo. I hooked it up...opened up my recording software, and bam!...simple and sweet...just a few pop edits here and there and I had an awesome sounding file. I had it at 44, 16bit and it sounded pretty much like a cd.

I am now considering making all my future music purchases as possible in vinyl and making my own cd/mp3s for on the go. Unfortunately most virgin vinyl is twice the price of a cd now a days. Maybe I will just start picking up my favorite albums on vinyl. I do know however that I will be looking in the classifieds/garage sales/estate sales for lot sales of vinyl...

...I now know what that audiophile addiction is all about now.
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 12
If you're in SoCal, then there's the Record Surplus on Pico. That's a good start to getting your fingers dirty and hunting through the bins. Also, the Rose Bowl Swap Meet, but you must arrive from 4am-6am if you intend on finding the goods. In NorCal there's supposed to be some serious places in Oakland and Sacramento, but I don't know that area well enough to recommend anything. Buying online is only good if it's something rare, cheap, or very new.

Personally, I've always felt that most new, good music finds its way to the pressing plants at some point. Almost all of my recent music purchases have been 12" singles from Detroit.

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 12
Im in Sacramento and what I have found is that The Beat is about the best place for vinyl (J street and 17th i believe)...well graded and priced, huge selection. Also there is a shop on K street called "records", if your familiar with dj shadows entroducing (its pictured) and the movie scratch shows him in the basemant. I was in the basement a couple years ago and from what I hear is they have been moving most of that stock pile up to the floor lately. But everything up top looks beat so it gives me little hope if I am ever in that store...I think they changed owners becuase last time I was there the guy was wary of letting me downstairs so I told him I'd come back some other time.

But thanks for the recommendations. If your in sacramento definately check out The Beat.

What I need to find is a good online place. If only vinyl was as prevalent on some site as cds on amazon.com ...that would be a slice of heaven.
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 12
It's really up to your musical tastes as to what will become available to you via online vendors. My main thing lately has been dance music, hip-hop and death metal. Much of this is released on vinyl when it's produced, or in some instances re-released.

Ebay can be a good place, so long as you're keen on pricing scales and know what you're looking for. Gemm.com isn't too bad, but expect them to tax you hard if you end up finding that "gem" that's been in your mind for a while. A good start is: www.thrilljockey.com They are based in Chicago and offer a decent variety of artists from their own label. The styles vary from instrumental, experimental electronic, to hip-hop. This would be my first stop for new music on vinyl that is good.

Let me know the styles you're looking for and I should be able to conjure up some more online sources.

Feb 14, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 12
I pretty much listen to anything and everything except a few genras out there.

My main listening though is strongly ditributed between electronica, trip hop, hip hop, and instumental, progressive or classic rock. The rest is some metal, modern rock, jazz and and blues.

Feb 14, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 12
One item that may become indispensible to you would be a VPI record cleaning machine. it will cost some dough but it will make the whole experience even better - I promise!!!

Congratulations on finding a love for vinyl and hope you have a ton of fun (it takes a lot of vinyl to make a ton).

Todd

Feb 14, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd
One item that may become indispensible to you would be a VPI record cleaning machine. it will cost some dough but it will make the whole experience even better - I promise!!!

Congratulations on finding a love for vinyl and hope you have a ton of fun (it takes a lot of vinyl to make a ton).

Todd

I know I love my VPI 16.5 and agree with Todd that the it improves the vinyl experience far beyond its cost.

Feb 15, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 12
Yeah...maybe my tax return will get me one of those
biggrin.gif

As for right now I know I'm getting incredible value out of the carbon brush I bought. Now thats a must have! Keeps all my new vinyl sparkly**

But yeah...some of the really grimmy stuff is beggin for one of those vpi machines.

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 12
I was planning on getting into vinyl very soon as well. What are the downsides of buying used?

Feb 24, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kassem
I was planning on getting into vinyl very soon as well. What are the downsides of buying used?

No real downside buying used. Getting into a shop with loads of used vinyl really opens the floodgates for discovery. I can't even start with some of the wonderful music I've found simply by being curious and gambling away $0.50-$3.00 of my earned cash. Buying online affords you to pick out (mostly) clean copies of music you may already know about. The real adventure (to me) is finding new music I've never heard before.

Feb 24, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 12
Well i found a couple places in my town that have stuff like.. hendrix, floyd, elton john, etc... mostly around 3-6$. Just seeing the used prices made me want to buy a system. Grr...

I just have one question.. and i havent been able to find a clear answer.

Is this a valid setup?

Thorens TD190 Turntable -> Marantz 1060 -> HD 600

If this is valid.. could someone also tell me what cables would connect between the Turntable and the 1060.

Feb 24, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 12
The Thorens will plug directly into the Moving Magnet phono input sockets on your Marantz 1060, there is no need for a phono stage as the amp has one already built in.

Not many Tonearms allow you to swop out the interconnects coming from the arm without a soldering iron so it's best to leave the current wiring intact as this can be very fiddly.

I havn't seen this turntable reviewed much but it's one of the few new ones at this price range which will play 78rpm. If you plan on delving that far back you might be lucky enough to find some old jazz records from the 30's and 40's which would need a special cartridge to play them which Thorens also supply for this deck.

By the looks of it it's unlikely to live upto the standards set by the classic Thorens like the TD150/160 but then again it's much cheaper in real terms.

Other decks to check out under 500USD are the Goldring GR1.2 or Rega Planar 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back