Thinking iBasso...
Jan 17, 2009 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Signal2Noise

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm still on the prowl of getting a headphone amp to try out. I've never used an amp before but have read the benefits of using one depending on hardware setup. So I want to see/hear for myself. After visiting the iBasso website I have become interested in their amps due to the pricing offered as well as the mostly positive reviews given here on the forums.

Here's the scenarios I would be using an amp:

Zune HP-out w/ SE530 (everyday use)

iPod LOD w/ SE530 or UE Pros (travel or selective use)

Laptop w/ IEM or full cans (games)

So worthwhile or not? Either way I'd still likely buy an amp from iBasso first because I could get the amp, mini cable, LOD adapter for under $300. The question then really becomes "which model?": D2, D3, or the new D10?

Comments/suggestions appreciated.

Jan 17, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 12
I've got the D2, but I haven't had a chance to hook it up to any decent cans, to let it stretch its legs (HD580s should be here on Monday!). For me, it was important to have a built in USB/DAC, but I think I may try out the whole ipod LOD thing later on. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't spend more than $200; people say that the rsa amps are great, but I can't justify, for my setup and ears, to spend that much money. I guess what I'm trying to say is, be mindful of the plateau.

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 12
I don't thnk anyone here's actually bought a D10 yet so there aren't any reviews, though I'm sure it will be fine.

I have a D3 and use it with iPod+LOD +UE Triple.fi's. There is a significant difference over the headphone socket.

Steven.

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 12
Thanks for all the replies everybody. I am leaning towards the D3 and am within a heartbeat of clicking on the 'buy' button.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 12
Signal2Noise if all you really need is an amp the the P3 would be a very worthy choice. Specially since you can roll op-amps to taylor the sound to your liking. HiFlight has come up w/ a combination which is fantastic, although I suggest you burn-in the P3 w/ the stock op-amps so you get to know its stock sound. Then you can start rolling op-amps. Good luck.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 12
Rolling amps sounds too complicated and time consuming to me. I am a complete noob when it comes to amps in the first place so I just want to test the audiowaters first.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 12
I like the DAC feature so that if the amp w/ Zune & SE530 doesn't make a difference at least I can use the D3 (or D2?) with my laptop.

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #11 of 12
I threw caution to the wind and ordered up the D3.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back