ThieAudio Signature Series Tribrid IEMs
Sep 8, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #3,031 of 4,754
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have both the clair and monarch and the difference in tuning makes the monarch impactful and clean for metal. Albeit I do listen to a lot of technical death and prog so having a little less bloat adds a tons to th clarity
Fair enough. But the example I like to use the show the difference a bit of EQ can do for the Monarch is Jambi by Tool. With no EQ the thump of the kick drum is weak and listening to the bass guitar it's just a bit "off"-sounding. Lacking body, I suppose.

Using Final E tips, all I'm doing is making a 2.5 db bump at 112.5 Hz in a graphic eq (for instance, I'm using wavelet) and suddenly the bass comes more to life and sounds more akin to what I'm hearing from headphones/speakers.

Edit: if not using Final E tips I'd try an even bigger bump, say, 4 db since those tips bump up the bass a bit already.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210908-130649.png
    Screenshot_20210908-130649.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #3,033 of 4,754
Fair enough. But the example I like to use the show the difference a bit of EQ can do for the Monarch is Jambi by Tool. With no EQ the thump of the kick drum is weak and listening to the bass guitar it's just a bit "off"-sounding. Lacking body, I suppose.

Using Final E tips, all I'm doing is making a 2.5 db bump at 112.5 Hz in a graphic eq (for instance, I'm using wavelet) and suddenly the bass comes more to life and sounds more akin to what I'm hearing from headphones/speakers.

Edit: if not using Final E tips I'd try an even bigger bump, say, 4 db since those tips bump up the bass a bit already.
I just use the hiby 4.4 20 ohm adapter. It is an actual difference

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #3,034 of 4,754
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have both the clair and monarch and the difference in tuning makes the monarch impactful and clean for metal. Albeit I do listen to a lot of technical death and prog so having a little less bloat adds a tons to th clarity
I love the Mid clarity of the Monarch as well, it's the perfect set for me because the Sony ZX500 already has a little more bass even in direct mode - balanced vs my other DAPs

Sep 9, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #3,035 of 4,754
If anyone in London wants to sample one of the following ThieAudio iems, feel free to hit me up:

- Monarch
- V14
- L9
- L3

You get extra cookie points if you own one of these iems that I want to try: Moondrop Variations, 64 Audio U12t, 64 Audio Fourte Noir or an Oriolus (Trailli or otherwise).

But please feel free to reach out.

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #3,036 of 4,754
After about 7 months of ownership, sub bass just disappeared on the left ear piece. On its way to repairs. Gonna be left with a dud when warranty runs out and this happens again.

Sep 9, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #3,039 of 4,754
Monarch arrived yesterday. Early thoughts are: these sound really good. That's pretty much the extent of my early thoughts. I'm comparing them to my 2020 Andromedas, but my first listening session I was (let's be honest) extremely high, so kinda hard to go into why I liked them. They really did open up when I switched from the SE output on my A&K Kann to the balanced. I do appreciate the fact that they don't hiss like the Andromedas are prone to do with any higher-output signal.

Sep 10, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #3,040 of 4,754
@DeweyCH Congrats, great purchase. You have lots of potential to uncover still.

Give these lots of power and a source with clean, dark background. They scale up like crazy.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #3,041 of 4,754
Just got the oracles, and I'm having a hard time fitting them. Maybe I'm making rookie mistake here?

With pretty much every tip I am getting a weird suction effect and all the bass disappears. It comes back if I hold them in, but as soon as I let go it's gone. If I just barely set them in my ear, I can get a good sound, but the seal breaks if I move or talk. I have tried inserting while lifting my ear, twisting, and just about eveything else I can think off.

Normally I would just sell them, but the sound is so stellar when I can actually hear it that I would like figure this out. My other iems ( that I have had no problems fitting ) are the er2xr, tin t4, legacy 2, and JVC FDX1. I have tried XELASTEC 2's, Spiral dots +, spinfits, and Dekoni bulletz.

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #3,042 of 4,754
I'm confused, you don't EQ the monarchs with the Fiio m11, right?
Sorry for the late reply...
No I cannot use EQ with M11+. Neutron player doesn't work on my M11+ and stock Fiio player and UAPP don't have EQ that good of the Neutron.

Sep 10, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #3,043 of 4,754
Please advise Monarch or Clair for rock, metal, progressive metal, and epic sound tracks? (ie. AC/DC, Dream Theater, Disturbed, Nightwish, Hans Zimmer...).
Thanks. Gone thru several reviews and still cannot decided
I listen to the same music and I chose Monarch. I just feed it to some power and I don't hear lack of mid bass at all. Reward is very clean and separated low mids, extremely nice high mids and super smooth treble, (sub) bass kicks hard (very addicting), and soundstage is easily best I heard.
I haven't heard Clair but for my tastes I'd rather have Monarch tuning after 2k than Clairs below 500hz. It works well with genres you mentioned.

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #3,044 of 4,754
Sorry for the late reply...
No I cannot use EQ with M11+. Neutron player doesn't work on my M11+ and stock Fiio player and UAPP don't have EQ that good of the Neutron.
Neutron works fine on my M11 Pro. It shouldn't be a problem on M11 Plus with latest version of Android.

UAPP PEQ is as good as that of Neutron if not better IMO.

The best thing about Neutron is that you can apply EQ to individual albums, songs and you can export all the settings to any Android device easily.

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #3,045 of 4,754
Neutron works fine on my M11 Pro. It shouldn't be a problem on M11 Plus with latest version of Android.

UAPP PEQ is as good as that of Neutron if not better IMO.

The best thing about Neutron is that you can apply EQ to individual albums, songs and you can export all the settings to any Android device easily.
No matter what I tried Neutron and Poweramp don't work with my M11+

I never tried UAPPs PEQ, I will buy it now and test it (it has only 5 frequencies to fiddle with) 🙄

Yes Neutron PEQ is amazing

Edit:
Bought UAPPs PEQ.
I'm not happy with the results, if I add 2-3 dB at around 175-200hz It mufflles the higher frequencies and reduces the volume...

SQ of the UAPP and Neutron are very similar (both great) but Neutron has an edge with PEQ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back