ThieAudio Legacy Series IEMs
May 27, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #376 of 1,778
Torn between getting L3 or Moondrop starfield. Which do you think is worth the money? Thanks
I have both! I've had the starfields for a few months now, they are really good. A neutral sound with a slightly bright midrange. Bass is good but a bit slow. I prefer the legacy a lot more. After about 24 hours of play they sound even better. Very good imaging and a wide and deep soundstage. They sound much better than I thought they would. Very smooth! For me the bass is perfect. Not too heavy, very textured and musical. On a personal level and the music I listen to they are outstanding for the price. I have more expensive iems, these are as good if not better than anything I have at the moment.

May 27, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #378 of 1,778
I'm also interested in the L3 and Starfield. Can anyone give comparisons of both to the blon03 and/or urbanfun (as it's the only ones I've heard)?? Looking for an upgrade over bl03 but also concerned with fit, comfort, isolation. Starfield *look* smaller and maybe more comfortable? I like punchy bass but still want detail, resolution, air, fluid vocals/mids. Are Starfield or L3 obvious upgrades to blon03 or urbanfun? Thanks!

May 27, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #379 of 1,778
I'm also interested in the L3 and Starfield. Can anyone give comparisons of both to the blon03 and/or urbanfun (as it's the only ones I've heard)?? Looking for an upgrade over bl03 but also concerned with fit, comfort, isolation. Starfield *look* smaller and maybe more comfortable? I like punchy bass but still want detail, resolution, air, fluid vocals/mids. Are Starfield or L3 obvious upgrades to blon03 or urbanfun? Thanks!
I haven’t heard the UF or the Starfield, but I haven’t read any major complaints about the fit of the Starfield. They get nothing but praise.

The fit of the L3 is great. It has a custom-ish shape, and is reasonably small, so it should fit most people w/o problems. I would say that the L3 is a great upgrade to the BL03, as some others have mentioned. It solves the problem of fit; the bass is a bit less and is ideal IMO. The lowest sub bass is a tad rolled off, but I really don’t notice it, and I LOVE my sub bass. The bass is faster and cleaner, with a leaner mid bass vs the BL03, so it doesn’t muddy up the mids at all, but it can still hit hard if called for.

The L3 uses BAs for the mids and treble, so it doesn’t completely have the DD timbre, but I find that it does sound natural, smooth, and pleasing, if a bit “too clear”? The treble is quite a bit more extended sounding vs the BL03, with a lot of upper treble air, though I’ve read some other’s assessments that state the treble is rolled off. On that point, what I will say is that the L3 is VERY sensitive to ear tip choice. In general (but not always), the more shallow and wide bore the tip, the better. I really like Sedna Earfit tips for the L3, which I also happen to really like on the BL03s.

May 27, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #380 of 1,778
20200526-114633.jpg

20200526-114605.jpg

20200526-200758.jpg

So far I'm quite impressed with sound quality, more than I expected, I can hear some notes that I never heard in those songs I played for a million times before. I'm a 7 years experienced DJ/Producer so I know what I'm listening to, this IEM gives me more fun than everything I have owned and tried before, include FH5, Massdrop Plus and a bunch of sub 200 IEMs. It's like the bass version of Shozy BG and more fun. Put this on for a few minutes, I totally sink into the music even I'm tried to critical listening to compare with other iems. Lastly, please forgive my broken English as it's not my first language.
This design is too cozy and relaxing. It's a UIEM, right? The one they sell as "china" option on aliex?

May 27, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #381 of 1,778
I have all 3. Urban fun are great. Very aggressive. Superb imaging, soundstage and bass. Very different from the BLON. Sounds more like my Fh7. I think they are better than the Starfield. Not everyone agrees but to me they are outstanding. Major QC. Many have reported bent nozzles, issues with the connectors not fitting also unit variation. Some have very good beryllium drivers others have units with a cheaper driver that doesn't sound great..You will be taking a huge risk buying them! Which is a shame because they sound very very good

May 27, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #382 of 1,778
I can weigh in on Starfield VS. L3 as I have both since release. Starfield is a little cooler sounding and has better detail than the L3 just ever so slightly- not that the L3 is lacking detail though. The high end is slightly more sparkly on the Starfield though its not fatiguing and there is overall better separation in the instruments, vocal presentation is more up front. The L3 has an overall wider sound stage and music sounds a little more energetic, the bass its very rewarding and overall sound is very balanced in a good way. They are both awesome IEMs and I think they actually compliment each other quite well.

I am a strong believer in comfort is king with headphones, if you have smaller ears you will probably find the Starfield to be just a tad more comfortable because the nozzle and earpiece is a little smaller than the L3 (I use small size tip with my IEMs usually). The L3 is still a very comfortable IEM and the plastic shell makes it feel extremely light once its in your ears.

So once again it comes down to your preference-
Starfield - You may prefer it if you really like to hear the very fine details and separation of instruments in your music.
L3 - You may prefer it if you like a still detailed but more energetic, focused and balanced musical experience.

Just my opinion, hope that helps a little, any specific questions let me know.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #383 of 1,778
I haven’t heard the UF or the Starfield, but I haven’t read any major complaints about the fit of the Starfield. They get nothing but praise.

The fit of the L3 is great. It has a custom-ish shape, and is reasonably small, so it should fit most people w/o problems. I would say that the L3 is a great upgrade to the BL03, as some others have mentioned. It solves the problem of fit; the bass is a bit less and is ideal IMO. The lowest sub bass is a tad rolled off, but I really don’t notice it, and I LOVE my sub bass. The bass is faster and cleaner, with a leaner mid bass vs the BL03, so it doesn’t muddy up the mids at all, but it can still hit hard if called for.

The L3 uses BAs for the mids and treble, so it doesn’t completely have the DD timbre, but I find that it does sound natural, smooth, and pleasing, if a bit “too clear”? The treble is quite a bit more extended sounding vs the BL03, with a lot of upper treble air, though I’ve read some other’s assessments that state the treble is rolled off. On that point, what I will say is that the L3 is VERY sensitive to ear tip choice. In general (but not always), the more shallow and wide bore the tip, the better. I really like Sedna Earfit tips for the L3, which I also happen to really like on the BL03s.
IEMusic,
Thanks so much!
I do like the bl03, but have always thought the upper bass, or mid bass is too much. I have custom EQs for all of my iems and eq the blons down quite a bit in that range. I love the deep low (sub) bass, so the L3 as you describe it sounds perfect for me! I tip roll a lot, and have sedna and spiral dots as some of my favorites.
I have small ears, but needed big tips to get a good seal, and for the blons to stay in my ears, which is a pain. Do love the timbre and naturalness though. Definitely putting the L3 on my shortlist.

May 27, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #384 of 1,778
I have all 3. Urban fun are great. Very aggressive. Superb imaging, soundstage and bass. Very different from the BLON. Sounds more like my Fh7. I think they are better than the Starfield. Not everyone agrees but to me they are outstanding. Major QC. Many have reported bent nozzles, issues with the connectors not fitting also unit variation. Some have very good beryllium drivers others have units with a cheaper driver that doesn't sound great..You will be taking a huge risk buying them! Which is a shame because they sound very very good
Codename John,
Thanks! I do have the urbanfun, it's been my goto for a few months. My copy seems good, no QC problems, but of course don't know which driver is in it. The bass is perfect, deep and tight without the mid bass bleed of the bl03. Just seem a bit sharp/grainy to my ears on some tracks (some are great though). So starfield wouldn't be an upgrade? What about L3?

May 27, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #385 of 1,778
I can weigh in on Starfield VS. L3 as I have both since release. Starfield is a little cooler sounding and has better detail than the L3 just ever so slightly- not that the L3 is lacking detail though. The high end is slightly more sparkly on the Starfield though its not fatiguing and there is overall better separation in the instruments, vocal presentation is more up front. The L3 has an overall wider sound stage and music sounds a little more energetic, the bass its very rewarding and overall sound is very balanced in a good way. They are both awesome IEMs and I think they actually compliment each other quite well.

I am a strong believer in comfort is king with headphones, if you have smaller ears you will probably find the Starfield to be just a tad more comfortable because the nozzle and earpiece is a little smaller than the L3 (I use small size tip with my IEMs usually). The L3 is still a very comfortable IEM and the plastic shell makes it feel extremely light once its in your ears.

So once again it comes down to your preference-
Starfield - You may prefer it if you really like to hear the very fine details and separation of instruments in your music.
L3 - You may prefer it if you like a still detailed but more energetic, focused and balanced musical experience.

Just my opinion, hope that helps a little, any specific questions let me know.
Psikyo,
Thanks so much! Both sound like good options to me soundwise. I do have smaller ears, so wondering about fitment. But sounds like either would definitely fit better than blon.
Do you think starfield is an upgrade from bl03 or urbanfun SQ-wise? Which is you favorite between starfield and L3?

May 27, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #386 of 1,778
Codename John,
Thanks! I do have the urbanfun, it's been my goto for a few months. My copy seems good, no QC problems, but of course don't know which driver is in it. The bass is perfect, deep and tight without the mid bass bleed of the bl03. Just seem a bit sharp/grainy to my ears on some tracks (some are great though). So starfield wouldn't be an upgrade? What about L3?
I do think the L3 is an upgrade to the BLON-03. I haven't pulled those out in a while since I got the L3. Its just the L3 and FLC8D right now.

May 28, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #387 of 1,778
Do
Codename John,
I had the same problem with the funs. I found o bravo cupid tips put them on and the difference was night and day. Lowered that mid peak and done some magic to the stage . Very tip dependent. The L3 sound much sweeter . The bass is just as good . The treble while not extended sounds perfect. What I like about them most is they are very musical. The sound is not flashy just very natural. It doesn't even seen like it's trying too hard. Which is very addictive. The starfields are similar in that respect. L3 to me sound a level up in my honest opinion

May 28, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #389 of 1,778
I love the L3's for a great deal of music, and prefer them, without question, to the V3s of the same brand. The dynamic bass really does make a difference in the overall balance of the frequency range, though I am using the same 1 down 2 up DIP switch configuration for both. Others have made fine comparisons between these two sets, however, so I want to make the less obvious comparison between the L3 and the Shuoer EJ07 (both ranked "S" by BGGAR). My comparison involves three wildly different tracks, played through TIDAL streaming, so I hope you'll follow along... (Note, Sedna Earfit (Large) used for all listening).

Jackie McLean – “Melody for Melonae”

Opening track on prime 60s Blue Note LP, Let Freedom Ring. First minute, Walter Davis Jr. comes in martially for a piano phrase that sounds like it could have erupted from Shostakovich Piano Concerto No. 2, with Herbie Lewis keeping a lazier but earthy pace just beneath. Then McLean blows a much more sinuous riff, more mischievous than military, on sax, with Davis Jr. and Lewis falling in line, and tight cymbal hits from Billy Higgins. At thirty-five seconds, McLean explodes in a sumptuous melody, with the other instruments providing a scaffolding that cascades as much as it trusses up that energy.

Both the EJ07 and L3 do fine work here. The L3s perhaps pull Higgins’ cymbal-work out with a bit more sparkle, though both sound tight and accurate. The opening balance between piano and bowed bass strings is definitely better with the EJ07. With the L3, the bass slightly overpowers the piano, or anyway the balance between them is off, so that the more staccato notes from the piano feel harshened somehow, as if blurted out from the veil of the bass. All in all, their “mesh” is not as natural-sounding to me as with the EJ07. The main sax melody at 35 seconds is properly beautiful and bellowing in both, with the EJ07 carrying every part of the quartet together the best, and with the L3 giving more oomph to the saxophone and cymbals over piano and bass. Different flavors, though if I could only have one, the EJ07 feels the most generous with all pieces.

Heather Duby – “Judith”

Opening track off Duby’s 1999 LP, Post to Wire, this under-heard gem engages with trip-hop, ethereal but bodily seductive female vocals, and especially a dynamic electronic arrangement provided by Steve Fisk that constantly subverts the various markers of genre and era.

Skin-tight drum hits and cymbal taps keep pace aside punctuating bass string plucks, which seem to blossom (electronically?) with intensified terminal vibrations. Duby’s voice wavers and enunciates with crystalline coyness, a little menacing, while piano lines waver and reverberate in the left channel, taken over by fuller chimes (vibraphonish keyboard?). Then, at 35 seconds, the electronics explode in a deep, rumbling counterpoint, while echoes of Duby’s own voice shimmer in the background of her confident main melody in an erotic, but also wrathfully accusatory march.

Again, both pairs shine overall. I think the L3s give slightly more sunlight to Duby’s vocals, but the bass blossoms after the plucked lines throughout the first thirty seconds feel less controlled than with the EJ07. Duby’s vocals, pretty and highlighted as they are with the L3, do also tend to diminish the effect of the electronics’ ominous, rumbling counterpoint in the chorus, robbing the passage of some of its ambivalent eroticism (the ratio of raw power to that pumped-up prettiness). The main trip-hop rhythm is just as crisp and driving with the L3s as with the EJ07, however, and neither disappoints.

Seam – “Rafael”

Yet another album opener, this one off Seam’s 1993 master-alchemy of post-hardcore and sad folk-rock, The Problem With Me. Dynamics are as crucial to this sound as with Slint, or again, as with the later, less incisive “post-rock” from Godspeed! or Explosions in the Sky, though compressed here into proper volcanic songs, rather than their stretched, languishing litanies.

Left channel guitar is picked in a riff like a rosary, with a twang that could be country if it were not so damned sad. Or perhaps it is as sad as some country, only here the lonely walk it takes is in beat-up Chuck Taylor’s instead of in cowboy boots. The bass trudges shadowing behind it, before the drums kick and stutter with articulate energy, and the right channel guitar, distorted to cold hellfire, snarls out as if summoned by the drum kicks. A steadier beat brings in the unaffected, nearly banal male vocals, which are nevertheless disarming, with a kind of candid powerlessness swarmed round by that distorted guitar and the now effusive, waterfalling bass-line. It is a melancholic chaos, frigid and enveloping, but like gushing magma, too.

The L3 is capable here in a way that contrasts with the ThieAudio V3s, which felt too thin and shrill for this "scene". The L3 is, instead, eminently listenable, and lets you into what I have called the swarm of distorted guitar, lustrous/lustreless male vocals, and heartbreaking bass plummets. However, the twang of the left channel guitar, especially in the opening moments when it is alone, are preferable to me through the EJ07, sounding fuller and...uh... “twangier,” which is also to say, more bodied in their sodden prayerfulness. Finally, although the drum sounds snappier and more upfront with the L3, the balance of the swarm-effect is thrown off just a tad, so that the drum and the bass outweigh the guitars, both distorted and twanging. Because the vocals depend so much on the absolute balance of everything else, they feel a smidge whinier to me with the L3 than with the EJ07. What's more, the EJ07 DOES NOT LOSE control of this gorgeous mess up to any volume you can physically withstand, whereas the L3's grip on the sound collage begins exponentially worsening past a certain level, strident rather than engulfing.

For this genre, as with Unwound, or Fugazi, or Codeine, or Bitch Magnet et al., the EJ07 is my weapon of choice.

~

I have much more side-by-side listening ahead of me, but although I can say the L3 does not reach as high as my (still clear favorite) EJ07, it is by far a better option for me to take on the go, out where the elements are too dangerous for the investment the EJ07 represents, than the V3.

On a technical note, I'll say the L3 is also easier to drive than the EJ07. I used the Dragonfly Cobalt for all comparison tracks, but the L3 sounds great coming straight out of my iPhone SE. The EJ07 needs more power, pure and simple. But it can TAKE that power in a way that the L3 cannot always handle (see final notes on the Seam track above).

To the point: I recommend either set. Push come to shove, I prefer the EJ07, which still seems unbeatable to me for all types of music, but the L3 shines unique spotlights on parts of many tracks, and holds its own in other ways, too, at one-eighth the cost. The L3 is also by no means a lesser "version" of the EJ07, and their tunings are appreciably different, catering to different tastes. The L3 scratches my relatively small itch for what other IEM'ers call "OCD detail," with a better balancing of the mids than the V3, though not at the godly level of perfect balance I feel the EJ07 has, where nothing is lost. Diffuse-field and divine.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #390 of 1,778
I love the L3's for a great deal of music, and prefer them, without question, to the V3s of the same brand. The dynamic bass really does make a difference in the overall balance of the frequency range, though I am using the same 1 down 2 up DIP switch configuration for both. Others have made fine comparisons between these two sets, however, so I want to make the less obvious comparison between the L3 and the Shuoer EJ07 (both ranked "S" by BGGAR). My comparison involves three wildly different tracks, played through TIDAL streaming, so I hope you'll follow along... (Note, Sedna Earfit (Large) used for all listening).

Jackie McLean – “Melody for Melonae”

Opening track on prime 60s Blue Note LP, Let Freedom Ring. First minute, Walter Davis Jr. comes in martially for a piano phrase that sounds like it could have erupted from Shostakovich Piano Concerto No. 2, with Herbie Lewis keeping a lazier but earthy pace just beneath. Then McLean blows a much more sinuous riff, more mischievous than military, on sax, with Davis Jr. and Lewis falling in line, and tight cymbal hits from Billy Higgins. At thirty-five seconds, McLean explodes in a sumptuous melody, with the other instruments providing a scaffolding that cascades as much as it trusses up that energy.

Both the EJ07 and L3 do fine work here. The L3s perhaps pull Higgins’ cymbal-work out with a bit more sparkle, though both sound tight and accurate. The opening balance between piano and bowed bass strings is definitely better with the EJ07. With the L3, the bass slightly overpowers the piano, or anyway the balance between them is off, so that the more staccato notes from the piano feel harshened somehow, as if blurted out from the veil of the bass. All in all, their “mesh” is not as natural-sounding to me as with the EJ07. The main sax melody at 35 seconds is properly beautiful and bellowing in both, with the EJ07 carrying every part of the quartet together the best, and with the L3 giving more oomph to the saxophone and cymbals over piano and bass. Different flavors, though if I could only have one, the EJ07 feels the most generous with all pieces.

Heather Duby – “Judith”

Opening track off Duby’s 1999 LP, Post to Wire, this under-heard gem engages with trip-hop, ethereal but bodily seductive female vocals, and especially a dynamic electronic arrangement provided by Steve Fisk that constantly subverts the various markers of genre and era.

Skin-tight drum hits and cymbal taps keep pace aside punctuating bass string plucks, which seem to blossom (electronically?) with intensified terminal vibrations. Duby’s voice wavers and enunciates with crystalline coyness, a little menacing, while piano lines waver and reverberate in the left channel, taken over by fuller chimes (vibraphonish keyboard?). Then, at 35 seconds, the electronics explode in a deep, rumbling counterpoint, while echoes of Duby’s own voice shimmer in the background of her confident main melody in an erotic, but also wrathfully accusatory march.

Again, both pairs shine overall. I think the L3s give slightly more sunlight to Duby’s vocals, but the bass blossoms after the plucked lines throughout the first thirty seconds feel less controlled than with the EJ07. Duby’s vocals, pretty and highlighted as they are with the L3, do also tend to diminish the effect of the electronics’ ominous, rumbling counterpoint in the chorus, robbing the passage of some of its ambiguous eroticism (the ratio of raw power to that pumped-up prettiness). The main trip-hop rhythm is just as crisp and driving with the L3s as with the EJ07, however, and neither disappoints.

Seam – “Rafael”

Yet another album opener, this one off Seam’s 1993 master-alchemy of post-hardcore and sad folk-rock, The Problem With Me. Dynamics are as crucial to this sound as with Slint, or again, as with the later, less incisive “post-rock” from Godspeed! or Explosions in the Sky, though compressed here into proper volcanic songs, rather than their stretched, languishing litanies.

Left channel guitar is picked in a riff like a rosary, with a twang that could be country if it were not so damned sad. Or perhaps it is as sad as some country, only here the lonely walk it takes is in beat-up Chuck Taylor’s instead of in cowboy boots. The bass trudges shadowing behind it, before the drums kick and stutter with articulate energy, and the right channel guitar, distorted to cold hellfire, snarls out as if summoned by the drum kicks. A steadier beat brings in the unaffected, nearly banal male vocals, which are nevertheless disarming, with a kind of candid powerlessness swarmed round by that distorted guitar and the now effusive, waterfalling bass-line. It is a melancholic chaos, frigid and enveloping, but like gushing magma, too.

The L3 is capable here in a way that contrasts with the ThieAudio V3s, which felt too thin and shrill for this "scene". The L3 is, instead, eminently listenable, and lets you into what I have called the swarm of distorted guitar, lustrous/lustreless male vocals, and heartbreaking bass plummets. However, the twang of the left channel guitar, especially in the opening moments when it is alone, are clearly preferable to me in the EJ07, sounding fuller and...uh... “twangier,” which is also to say, more bodied in their sodden prayerfulness. Finally, although the drum sounds snappier and more upfront with the L3, the balance of the swarm-effect is thrown off just a tad, so that the drum and the bass outweigh the guitars, both distorted and twanging. Because the vocals depend so much on the absolute balance of everything else, they feel a smidge whinier to me with the L3 than with the EJ07. What's more, the EJ07 DOES NOT LOSE control of this gorgeous mess up to any volume you can physically withstand, whereas the L3's grip on the sound collage begins exponentially worsening past a certain level, strident rather than engulfing.

For this genre, as with Unwound, or Fugazi, or Codeine, or Bitch Magnet et al., the EJ07 clearly is my weapon of choice.

~

I have much more side-by-side listening ahead of me, but although I can say the L3 does not reach as high as my (still clear favorite) EJ07, it is by far a better option for me to take on the go, out where the elements are too dangerous for the investment the EJ07 represents, than the V3.

On a technical note, I'll say the L3 is also easier to drive than the EJ07. I used the Dragonfly Cobalt for all comparison tracks, but the L3 sounds great coming straight out of my iPhone SE. The EJ07 needs more power, pure and simple. But it can TAKE that power in a way that the L3 cannot always handle (see final notes on the Seam track above).

To the point: I recommend either set. Push come to shove, I prefer the EJ07, which still seems unbeatable to me for all types of music, but the L3 shines unique spotlights on parts of many tracks, and holds its own in other ways, too, at one-eighth the cost. The L3 is also by no means a lesser "version" of the EJ07, and their tunings are appreciably different, catering to different tastes. The L3 scratches my relatively small itch for what other IEM'ers call "OCD detail," with a better balancing of the mids than the V3, though not at the godly level of perfect balance I feel the EJ07 has, where nothing is lost. Diffuse-field and divine.

Thanks for such a great comparison!
I have a couple questions. Do you perceive the treble of the L3 as rolled off, or do you find it quite well extended?
In comparison, how do you perceive the EJ07 treble compared to the L3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back