There is nothing like live music
Nov 16, 2001 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
Let's face it, the only way for it to sound like you are "right there"is to actually be right there.I can listen to records and CDs on the best equipment the world has to offer and it will never remotely approach the sound and atmosphere of a live performance.

In the past week I have seen live performances by two fantastic artists in a great venue.I cannot encourage all of you enough to get out and see a concert sometime.I do it quite often and have seen some great performances over the years.I saw Miles Davis in 1985 give a performance that brought people to tears.I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn at the top of his game as a sober virtuoso.I see artists like Patricia Barber and Kurt Elling on a regular basis and never tire of the music.We can purchase the latest, greatest headphone gear to reproduce sounds that most of us have never heard.When I listen to Patricia Barber's music at home at least I know what it actually sounds like live and have some reference for reproduction that my equipment can aspire to.

Go to see the artists you love while they are still around for you to enjoy them.I love to hear stories about what a great performer Tito Puente was but I regret never having gone to see him.Now he's gone.My daughter cried endlessly when the young performer Aliyah died in a plane crash earlier this year and she passed on an opportunity to see her perform live just weeks before her death.I love my headphones and look forward to the time I spend listening to them,but the reference is live music,get out and see some.

Nov 16, 2001 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 6
Unfortunately the only live stuff I have seen has been crappy local groups or even worse, pop type stuff. I can't stand the way they sound, and will take studio recorded Nightwish over a Tool concert anytime for example.

Not only that, but the good groups don't tour in the US most of the time
frown.gif

Perhaps I need to go to a performance by the local symphony, but it will be a few months untill the next one.

I would pay megadollars (Well, within my means) to see a concert by one of my favorite groups, but the problem is I can't see em, period
frown.gif

Nov 16, 2001 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 6
Yeah, I agree. With both of youse. OTOH (on the one hand), seeing a good performance live is leaps and bounds ahead of any studio recording.

But what I listen to mostly is underground type stuff. Unless a freaqk occurence occurs, and the sound guy is actually good, you won't get good sound at some of these shows. I mean, they're not bad, but they're not great, either.

I went to one show, and the bass just sounded like one note, no matter what pitch they were playing in, the resonance was that bad. (Covenant/And One, BTW.)

But symphonies are good. The live Al Di Meola show was excellent.

But my system is so good, the first time I heard it (it wasn't mine yet), I actually thought for a split second, "cool, there's a drummer here" (it was Buddy Rich).

Nov 16, 2001 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 6
I would say just the opposite, for certain types of music like jazz
or classical if you have a very good seat in a very good acoustical
setting then live "can" sound better. This is the type of "music"
I'm sure you are referring to.

But I have never been to a live rock/alt show that even comes close to the quality/realism of sound I get from my home stereo
listening to studio recording of same group..........unless it is a really badly recorded CD, like some punk rock recordings etc.

Now the visual spectacle is another matter, of course this requires
live performance and videos are very bad at capturing a live events excitement/drama etc.

Nov 16, 2001 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 6
try some of your local college and high school bands.Who would have thought the band 'Disturbed' would make it big.My brother went to see them perform when they were nobody for a $7.00 covercharge at a juice bar.I went to see the Jazz musician David Young perform at Northwestern University where he was a student a few years ago,now he is a big star.I know some of these bands are talentless showpeople but occasionally we discover the real talents by accident.would'nt you love to be able to say you saw the next big star while he was still a nobody.

It is true that the acoustics and personnel at some of the venues out there are useless but don't give up.I'm sure you have heard the stories of David Sanborne allowing audience members to name new songs,I hear Billy Corrigan of the Smashing Pumpkins frequently did the same thing.When you go to a concert you are a participant in the performance.Whenever you hear a recording of a live performance the audience interaction is always an intergral part of that performance.When you are in a crowded concert hall or stadium,at least you know that all the people there like the same music you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back