The White Stripes Icky Thump - New Stripes album impressions (Icky-Fi)
Jul 27, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I'm hearing a bad distortion/static on every bass hit on the new album. I don't have my amp on me so I don't know if that's the reason. Anyone experience this?

That's why everyone likes the Hoffman vinyl release instead of the CD
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty good stuff.
Definitely a keeper!
smily_headphones1.gif

yup, I am such a loser..even though I have heard this album most around my friends etc, I am the only one not sick of this album yet from too much play
cool.gif

In fact, I am such a tool, that I have both the UK and US vinyl and the redbook CD (purchased CD in HA so is the US ver on CD)

Vinyl is king.
surprising is the lack of posts and interest surrounding this LP in these parts with SQ considered and all, especially considering Hoffman is the master on these 2LP sets.

Jul 27, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #18 of 29
With the Hoffman rip, I can stick it in my car and crank it up so the bass rivals any hip-hop/rap album...

Imagine the look on people's faces when they first hear thumping from a distance, only to hear mariachi bands and bagpipes when they hear where the bass is coming from :p

Jul 28, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #19 of 29
My previous experience of them was restricted to background radio play, thanks to this thread I now own this album; my first foray into The White Stripes and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I am definitely going to have to lay hands on the Hoffman vinyl.

Jul 30, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #20 of 29
I've spun this album about five times now, and I really do enjoy it. I'm not a huge fan of the intentional noise that this album has. Although I do like the album, it is not their best. Thats okay though, I'm sure I'll keep listening to it again.

Aug 2, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #21 of 29
From what I understand, the vinyl Hoffman/Gray mastering is worldwide. The liner notes state Vlado Meller, but if you look in the dead wax, there's "KG/SH" engraved in it.

Aug 2, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #22 of 29
I love this album on vinyl. I made my own vinyl rip and it gets constant play in the car. Awesome album.

The CD sucks.

Aug 2, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #24 of 29
It really sucks because people like me who don't have a vinyl player in their home don't get to listen to what appears to be very well produced music that's beneath this terrible digital transfer.

Aug 2, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by scratchyvinyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I understand, the vinyl Hoffman/Gray mastering is worldwide. The liner notes state Vlado Meller, but if you look in the dead wax, there's "KG/SH" engraved in it.

So there is! Weird that is should be miscredited though. Haven't heard the CD to compare, but I didn't notice any distortion on headphones, and absolutely the bass is absolutely MASSIVE. Sound like the Hoffman master?

Aug 2, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Rymer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So there is! Weird that is should be miscredited though. Haven't heard the CD to compare, but I didn't notice any distortion on headphones, and absolutely the bass is absolutely MASSIVE. Sound like the Hoffman master?

Yup... All copies of the vinyl worldwide are Hoffman/Gray works.

Aug 2, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #27 of 29
I will have to get the Hoffman LP. Haven't heard it yet.

Aug 2, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really sucks because people like me who don't have a vinyl player in their home don't get to listen to what appears to be very well produced music that's beneath this terrible digital transfer.

I feel for you in a lot of ways. That said, how many folks with just a TT have to miss out on tons of music because it is a RBCD release only? Cuts both ways a lot of the times. But no doubt in this case, the CD only folks are getting taken for a hard ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back