The Wadia iTransport: I've Been Waiting for This!
Jan 4, 2008 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9
[size=x-small]Check out the press release for (and renderings of) the Wadia iTransport iPod Dock.

I want one. Bad.

I have been considering putting together a media server (primarily a music server) for some time now. When John Schaffer told me, back in September, that Wadia was developing what would become the iTransport iPod Dock, I flipped, as I knew what they were developing was something that would be ideal for me (and countless others) in my pursuit of a music server. With iPods storing up to 160GB--and undoubtedly storing still more and more in future models--the iTransport makes a lossless/WAV-packed iPod one heck of a digital transport.

What's the significance of the iTransport? It is the first iPod dock that I'm aware of that extracts music from the iPod to a bit-perfect S/PDIF digital audio output without ever leaving the digital domain. (On top of that, it has a high-resolution component digital video output, as well as analog audio and video outputs.) In concert with a high quality digital-to-analog converter (DAC) or home theater receiver/processor, the iPod/iTransport combination allows the iPod to serve two very distinct, cool roles: the iPod remains the portable source it has always been; but, docked on the iTransport, it should serve as one heck of a digital transport that can feed bit-perfect digital to your choice of DAC/processor.

Wadia president John Schaffer has invited me recently to their headquarters to audition it, but I just haven't been able to get out there before CES came upon us, so Vegas is where I'll first get a listen to it.

We should be among the first to get one for auditioning![/size]

Jan 5, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 9
I think this is great....?? but am a bit confused. Putting it in terms of an Imod, it sounds like this unit is doing the same thing for audio and digital, but without modding anything. If that's what this is doing than I agree with you Jude. Truly outstanding. Please let us know your thoughts after you have a chance to demo it.

Thanks for all you do!

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 9
Now the question is, are you getting the Hot Rod Flame one or not?
wink.gif

-Ed

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Now the question is, are you getting the Hot Rod Flame one or not? http://www.head-fi.org/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

http://lh6.google.com/headfi/R4_DyPG...0/IMG_7843.JPG

I love that Hot Rod Flame casework they had on display, but it doesn't match any of my other gear.
wink.gif
I think the folks at Wadia actually said they may be offering some special edition special paint schemes for the iTransport.

It looks like I'll be picking up an iTransport later today, by the way--I am so looking forward to finally getting to use one in my own rig.

May 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 9
Actually this little gem made the IPOD a viable option for the cottage system now....the digital out is critical. I hope to get one of these soon and pair it up with a DIY DAC....certainly beats hauling 100 CD's up to shack along with a transport DAC and amp (cans of course)
smily_headphones1.gif
One of the only truly annoying caveats with this device is the limited control you have over your IPOD once docked but I'll gladly put up with a little inconvenience to gain the SQ edge it will bring and at a price that anyone can afford (cough MSB dock being 2K+...cough).

I keep looking at your Gold link III in your photo Jude and wish I hadn't sold mine (same setup with P1000 PSU) 6 years ago... I should have kept it...(famous last words).

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back