the thrill is gone
Jan 30, 2002 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gorgon_123

Proud to be a member
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced something similar to what I've been going through. I have not listened to my headphones since before Christmas. I no longer read these message boards, nor do I surf over to Headwize. The Dream Is Over.

A few reasons for this I think: I bought a PS2. I bought a bunch of games for it. My free time, when I'm not hanging out with my girlfriend is not eaten up by the big screen TV and Tony Hawk 3 or Grand Theft Auto 3. Big ole PSB speakers, no headphones for this lad.

Also, I no longer travel long enough to warrant wearing headphones (changed schools, much closer now). I can get to the movie theatre, school, arcade, a few local bars, coffee shops, and work in under 10 minutes. So I just don't bother with my headphones anymore.

Am I sinful? Shall I be cast out of the House of Head-Fi?

Your thoughts please. Then I shall be gone for good. I think.

It's been fun.

Jan 30, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 13
well, all I can say is, you probably will be back
wink.gif

and hey, you don't have to listen to expensive headphones to be here ya know.

Jan 30, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 13
I haven't actually listen to my X-can for weeks, and I do that all the time. I don't use my Sony MZ-91 that much either, come to think if it, I spent/wasted a lot of money on this hobby(around $1000).

But my speakers get almost daily use , and certainly on weekends. I turn it up and I turn it up loud (but not ear spliting) so it fills the house with music (which I like).

And back to your poll, I have eaten more oranges and bananas then listen to my headphones.

Jan 30, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 13
Maybe giving up smoking has cleared your mind and you are no longer falling vicitim to audiophilis, the most expensive and music enjoyment killing disease known to man.

biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

But I go through phases with these things. And the good thing is: When you rediscover the hobby, you almost can have that first-time thrill again.

Jan 30, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 13
Go bananas!

Uh, so anyway... I kinda had a lapse where I wasn't listening as much (to headphones that is), and its kinda comin' back to me. I think the Dallas meeting is really gonna help, get me to listen to alot of stuff, and some stuff I haven't heard. Should be fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 13
For me, headphone listening goes in phases. For instance, when I first got my Gamecube, I spent all my time playing that. I don't necessarily listen every day now, but I eventually get that urge to listen again, and off I go.
smily_headphones1.gif

And yeah, go bananas!

Jan 30, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 13
Apples, because Macs are the best
smily_headphones1.gif
(grr wish I actually chose that, stupid misclick)

I have little time to listen to my rig though... on a normal weekday I log maybe an hour on the rig. I don't have a great speaker system to steal me away so headphones are it.

Jan 31, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #9 of 13
Everything is constantly changing. It's normal to get hyper-involved in something initially, slowly lose interest, then move on.

I originally went to Head-Wize during my search for some good portable phones for for a Personal Jukebox I had just purchased.

A year, 6 pairs of headphones, 5 headphone amps, a bunch of cables, and a new CD player later, and I'm still here ( now Head-Fi) with a renewed interest in everything Audio.

I also have not been listening to headphones much lately as I recently upgraded my home theatre set-up and have been spending most of my spare time watching DVD movies and music videos.

But the pendulum is always swinging.

Jan 31, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 13
Just because you aren't using your headphones that much doesn't mean you still can't surf back here and talk about music - something which I venture you'll NEVER tire of. I like coming to Head-Fi because I'm on my computer a lot (at home and at work) and it's a great big, nasty web out there. If it weren't for Head-Fi whose knows what muck I might be treading through. I feel safe heading here. Head-Fi is kind of like my internet "Cheers". Everybody knows your name. We know yours, too, Gorgon. So drop back when you want.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #13 of 13
See ya, wouldn't want to be ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back