The Synthwave Corner
Oct 11, 2020 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sebasistan

100+ Head-Fier
I would assume sythwave / retrowave / whatever we want to call this electronica subgenre is not terribly well regarded in audiophile circles. Too much artifice, there's artists a dime a dozen, and let's be honest, most of them just aren't very good. Too many tracks that are just haphazardly thrown together, shot through with the ever same dialog clips from old 80s classic movies, a warbling synthesizer and little talent. Also at this point in 2020 the genre has been around longer than the era that inspired it lasted, so it's all becoming a bit of a joke.

But then, there are some legit great artists in synthwave. They may be difficult to find, but they do exist. So since there is no dedicated thread here for this thing, I thought why not start one and talk about what's actually legit good stuff and where to find it (hint: it's pretty much all on Bandcamp).

My first real exposure to retrowave - which is different but overlapping with chiptune, just to make things more confusing - was in 2012 when indie hyper violence fest Hotline Miami came out. This might seem odd, but I had quite a lot of musical discoveries through video games, from Nine Inch Nails (thanks, Quake!) to Sigur Ros (thanks, Prince of Persia 2008 trailer!). So it was kinda fitting that another video game would open up an entire genre for me.

To this day, one of the most prominent contributors to Hotline Miami's soundtrack stuck with me and I can't wait to see what he does next.

This is Perturbator, aka James Kent, out of Paris. Perturbator has a background in metal, which is an overlap that is fairly common in (good) synthwave apparently. I've seen quite a number of synthwave artists whose main musical projects are metal bands, who then dip their toes into electronica, and bring attitude and overall approaches to compositions into electronic music like this. Sometimes they also just straight up bring in guitars. I will go into an artist like that in a later post.

Perturbator is my personal gold standard for synthwave. It's fairly dark, aggressive and layered music that uses old timey synthesizers with modern beats. There's not a lot going on in terms of vocals, and yes, they, too, employ the much maligned dialog snippets from 80s flicks on occasion. But vocals aren't what I'm here for, and since this is Perturbator I am willing to forgive the nostalgic indulgence.

Peturbator is, like most of the genre, certainly "a mood" as the kids would say.

Oh also content notice on the videos, they feature some flashing lights, so be careful if you're prone to seizures.

His 2016 album The Uncanny Valley is something I rank among the best synthwave albums, personally.

You can also get remastered versions of his first two albums and some more EPs on the Blood Music label.

Oct 12, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 4
Today's artist is Makeup and Vanity Set (MAVS) aka Matthew Pusti, out of Nashiville, Tennessee.
Like many Retrowave artists, MAVS has a thing for horror flicks from the 80s and the soundscapes that accompanied them. He produced a whole series of albums for a fictional slasher movie, wherein he emulated the sound and feel of legendary filmmaker/composer John Carpenter, and then went from there. MAVS stands out from the masses of retrowave artists with a really polished sound design. His stuff simply isn't cookie cutter warbling sequencers chasing the same old 808 beats. His 2015 double album Wilderness is one of my personal all time favorites, regardless of genre. MAVS is a bit John Carpenter, a bit Vangelis, but overall very much his own sound. He contributed the soundtrack to the 2016 indie mech combat game Brigador, and has since worked on the soundtracks for several podcasts as well as released a steady stream of new wholly original music. If you enjoy electronic music at large, but don't get much out of the whole retrowave genre as a whole, Makeup and Vanity Set might have something for you regardless.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 4
Another one of my favorites in the genre is Mega Drive, out of Texas.
Mega Drive has a certain dark-ish edge to his sound. His tracks are dense and varied, but I do find his overall output not quite as varied as the acts I wrote about before. His stuff is still very good, and he does have a pretty unique sound and doesn't just disappear in the mass of retrowave shoveltunes.
His 2014 album 198X is still one of my all time favorite electronic music records. There's a lot going on, it's quite the mood. He released the follow up, 199X, last year. His output is pretty high overall, with basically an album and a half released each year. I feel like that is one of the bigger issues with any and all retrowave artists - they just release too much stuff, with too little overall quality control. So the good releases get easily buried under a pile of so-so efforts.

Don't get me wrong, I do quite love Mega Drive. I'm just hedging my enthusiasm here a little, since I'm aware that the genre has some issue, and even though Mega Drive is one of my favorite acts in this corner of electronic music, he, too, isn't free from the issues of the genre overall.

And also, if you're big into retrowave, none of the acts I mention here will necessarily be new, they're the big ones that most people who enjoy this kind of music already know. I wanted to put together a thread that highlights the bigger names - at least in my book - first, to maybe win some new fans for all of this stuff. And maybe someone else will post some suggestions that I haven't heard of yet that they are as enthusiastic about as I am about the ones I post.

Oct 23, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 4
Retrowave deals heavily in nostalgia, that's no secret. The entire genre exists to evoke the sound of 1980s synth pop, with sometimes more and sometimes fewer modern twists added. Some artists emulate video game music, Mega Drive certainly does, while others go for more of a dance-pop-but-it's-old approach.

Timecop1983 is... Special. Unlike the previously featured artists, his music doesn't so much add modern flourishes to old synth sounds, but goes straight for a very mellow, very authentic-sounding recreation of 80s synth pop. I will admit there are many artists of this particular bend out there. But this Dutch guy is - in my humble opinion - the best at it. His music is so soothing, so mellow and laid back, it's like a cozy, neon-colored nostalgia powered hammock. Gentle synths playing pleasing harmonies, an unintrusive drum machine beat and occasional vocal guests make this somewhat awkwardly named act one of my personal favorites in the genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back